Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, February 08, 2020

intolerances-- to food

by Rain Trueax
 


This is going to be a fairly short blog as I've had an 'under the weather' week. How did this come about you might ask or prefer not to know. For the prefer not to know, do not hit the read more button. 


So here goes with something I only would relate because it might help someone else. I have known since last spring that I have a nightshade intolerance. There are various ways nightshades can cause some people grief. Intolerance is very, very unpleasant. And it involves some of the nightshades I like the very most. Following is a link that describes what a nightshade sensitivity might mean.  There are different levels for what it can do.


This last week, I tested my sensitivity to them. It might be years before I do it again as I had a miserable couple of days that involved throwing up, feeling weird, not wanting to eat anything, and a case of not feeling right for days after the worst had passed. 

The thing that can make a nightshade intolerance hard to diagnose is that you get sick a day or two after you had eaten the food. In my recent case, I had it on Saturday, didn't feel right on Sunday for eating, but then Monday was laid low with the vomiting and inability to function like normal. Even my muscles felt weak. The episode can last three or four days-- or more. 

What had i eaten? The first time this happened was last spring, and it was spaghetti, homemade. The second time it was scalloped potatoes for an Easter dinner. This time, we split a meatball sub from Subway, to which we had added some pepperoncinis peppers, and of course, the tomato sauce that came with the sub.  Peppers are also nightshades. 

Tentatively, I had tested the possibility I could still eat some food with tomatoes with a slice on a hamburger. If it set me back, it did not make me sick. It's why I tried it again, and this time it laid me low. It is possible though, from what I've read, that uncooked tomatoes don't impact those where the sauce does. I don't know and research is about generalities. People have to find out for themselves what is a problem for them-- finding out is not fun.

I am only writing about this because others might suffer some of the same symptoms when they get sick and not realize the cause since they aren't directly connected like a nightshade allergy would be with an immediate reaction. 

Why did I develop this immune problem? I first had it regarding food with gluten (which turned out to be glyphosate). This was in my 60s after I had had poison oak go systemic. Did it trigger the sensitivity? It could be other habits I had that were unhealthy and a factor. For now, I'll just avoid all the nightshades again though I really like them. Alas, but it is what it is. If you wanted more info, here's another link:

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I am sure that food allergies can be so dangerous, but did not know about this. Hubby reacts to mammalian meat due to a tick induced allergy. This food allergy is surprisingly spreading in our state! I am debating about whether I will cook my own dinner of lamb and he can eat someting else this spring! We are healthy for eating mostly poultry and seafood and not red meat. I am sorry you got so ill, but that surely tells you what to avoid.

Rain Trueax said...

I had no idea about it either and still mourning not being able to eat tomato sauces as they are in so many foods i love. I can live without the potatoes more easily.

Interesting on the tick induced and have heard it can be a factor in nightshade intolerance also. In my case, the whole thing began when I had a rash that didn't get correctly diagnosed as poison oak and went systemic. I hadn't thought I'd had contact with poison oak and doctors didn't recognize the situation in time either. Everything began after that; so it might be a similar thing.

Joared said...

I hadn’t heard this allergy term before and sorry you are having this problem. I recall having poison oak as a child which wasn’t very pleasant, but don't recall having any added problems as a result. When I was older I recall raw onions and highly seasoned foods, peppers, were upsetting to me so I simply didn't eat them. Even now onions can be an issue. By the time i reached my mid-twenties I began to gradually tolerate more seasonings and chilli peppers if not too strong. I have noticed any food sensitivities I experience vary — sometimes I tolerate them just fine, then other times they can be upsetting for reasons I’m unable to discern. I’ve generally attributed it to being fair-complected, a redhead.

Rain Trueax said...

I had little experience with food allergies either when younger. I had things I didn't like or didn't like me but nothing like this toxicity.

When poison oak goes systemic, the rash pops up other places on your body. I believe mine happened because I did not know it was poison oak to begin. I'd been in a nearby town and some people had returned from the woodsy areas around it. Their dog ran between my legs and i was wearing cutoffs. That area had poison oak. Our farm does not. When the rash first came, I didn't treat it properly. Then when I went to the doctor, they also didn't correctly diagnose it. When it popped up places it had not been, I went to a dermatologist. The PA there gave me prednisone but from what I've read not enough days. It might've had nothing to do with the later problems but it was the beginning. As we age, I guess immune disorders become more common.