Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, November 02, 2019

what if

by Rain Trueax


This is the season where the leaves fall off the trees. Do they also reveal what is otherwise hidden? Do we want to know what that might be? I've written before about the fairy tale for adults angle of why write or read books with supernatural elements. It was the fun part of what these books offer-- magical beings and special powers. 

There is another side-- the scary side. Why do people go to horror films? They might like being scared and looking for a vicarious, safe experience to get the adrenaline rush. In literature, there is the popularity of Stephen King's books to recognize that wanting to be frightened has fans.

Even though I write books with demons and monsters, I don't actually think mine are scary. They do have the other side but always the heroes/heroines have the powers that make them the ones in charge. My interest in writing such stories began years ago.

In the 1990s, I wrote my first paranormal. To give it some reality, I read books with experiences people claimed had brought them into contact with monsters or ghosts. Maybe people lied, but the stories were scary. To be honest, I didn't want to keep the book when I finished my book. The whole emphasis for me was how we get control over those monsters.

In 2013, inspired by a dream, my second paranormal led to more research, this time online as it was possible by then, as I learned about Native American and early European mythologies about monsters to explain what they could not otherwise explain.

When it came time to write a series of natural born witches, I did more research and more thinking about what might be. It is a little scary. 

Then, i came across Rusty West, who has a YouTube channel about mysterious happenings and especially disappearances. I subscribed. Yes, it's scary, but I wondered about this unknown aspect of life. West had a new one the other day, and I thought I'd share it here. Here is the thing about what some claim to have experienced-- might they be lies? Might they be real? I don't know but I found it, as I always do, of interest and bring the stories here. 




Is it bad to know such stories where we can't be sure of the reality or is it looking into what might be out there and being prepared? I don't have an answer. Lately, I've been thinking about my own books in the Mystic Shadows series. What if all of this is about energy and not about some spiritual source. What if the claims of Eastern mystics are true that they can apparate or walk on water or heal the sick? 

See, that's the whole thing about fantasy novels-- the what if's.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I think some lie because they like the thrill of attention. Other's their brains play tricks on them and they believe it really happened. But maybe there is a small percentage that actually experience another dimension of reality.

Rain Trueax said...

Yes, all could be the case. Where I got interested in Rusty's channel was for people who went missing in National Parks where nothing obvious could be discovered as to the reasons why. He would look at all the evidence or lack of it and it was left as unknowable. Sometimes something would show up later to explain it. There were a surprising number of them. Most involved intensive searches. Like with the stories in the video, there could be many explanations.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I believe our perception of the world is more about us than what is real. So not all of us are the same and there is much we cannot sense.

Rain Trueax said...

But possibly some can. The stories that Rusty shared all seem very believable to me but also unexplainable. I am fine with that.