Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, October 09, 2019

by Diane: Watercolor Workshop at Fall Creek Festival

My tenth year demonstrating and teaching watercolor 

at Fall Creek Festival 

Returning this year is co-teacher, Cheryl French, who has taught and demonstrated with me for about five years. She is a print maker and painter plus she has extensive teaching experience especially with children. The class is made up of all levels and ages. The atmosphere is perfect for families painting together.

The watercolor workshop takes place in the education room of the hatchery with windows on the creek where Fall Chinook and silvers are spawning.

 
 
In preparation for teaching watercolor, I am painting and playing with watercolor. It is a medium with many playful possibilities.
Howler monkey mother
12' x 9"
First step
 
Second step - blocking in shapes with a large 3/4" filbert brush -
 a deliberate challenge. The brush's character was my partner.
Without an exact idea of how I would express the  forms,
being mindful of shapes natural for the brush. I allow myself to accept abstractions.
Many steps later
The addition of ultramarine over phthalo green over naphthol red over quinacridone gold
was uneven and not so rich as I hoped.
 

Cupuchin Monkey
The pure white cotton rag paper is good for high contrast.
 I am more comfortable with the starkness of white
when adding a gold tint over most of the whites.
 A concentrated permanent alizarin crimson
over concentrated pthalo green makes a richer dark than ivory black. 
 
The hatchery is surrounded by woods.
This painting is on a warm off white tinted cotton rag paper. 19" x16"
I like the undertone for developing rich darks.

.
A few more weeks remain for me to play.
Also to work with Crayola pan colors
like the ones provided for the class.
Mostly I decide on what I will teach
on the spot depending
on who is in the class.

Play isn't continuous joyful fun.
 Self criticism and doubt make their appearance.
But I am only spoiling paint and paper,
 not causing danger to national security.

4 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The Howler Monkey painting after the second step started looking like black face to me. On the one hand I realized that to many black face changed our awareness. Black face made us see dark skined people with the lips of howler monkies.
I believe even if mistakes are made in choice of colors or pose that always there are good strengths. What I liked most was the expression of motherhood.
This painting is not finished. I could do another painting with a different pose or wash this one. Tomorrow I will post results.

Rain Trueax said...

Sounds like you will be well prepared. Hope you get some nice weather this time but a person never knows.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Surprisingly the weather the first week of November is usually nice enough to paint a little outside if some desire it.
I like to have a number of new things for families to do because some come back year after year.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

It is also nice to hear news of the creative things some grown up children are doing who attended years back.