Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, July 21, 2018

ups and downs

by Rain Trueax


I am in a group blog, Sweethearts of the West, where I posted the blog below. It got seen by less than usual there as at the same time I learned that a writer friend, Celia Yeary, had died. I wanted to post on her loss, what she had meant to me and it kind of buried my blog where I wrote about the history of the Chinese in Oregon. I thought I'd share it here as I feel it is an important part of Oregon's history.


When I wrote my historicals, although I'd heard a lot of stories, I needed to learn more about the Chinese in the western United States. Their history is part of our story. What happened to them illustrates both the positive and negative side to our nature as we grew this country-- not always honorably. 

In my Oregon and Arizona historical romances, Chinese characters played secondary roles. One of them, Han Jei, was someone I intended for an Oregon romance, but it has yet to happen-- partly because I knew more about him than with whom he might become romantically involved. Most Chinese men in that time period were forced to leave their families behind. I thought his family history, where he and his brothers had first landed in San Francisco, would make for an interesting hero-- with the right heroine. It still might happen when the right story comes along for him.

In Eastern Oregon, many Chinese had settled in Canyon City for the mining. Until February 1885, it was the largest Chinese settlement in Eastern Oregon. That was until the night when its Chinatown was burned down, probably by arsonists. Local authorities refused to let the Chinese rebuild; thus, many moved down the creek to John Day, where they added to the town’s established Chinese community. During its peak, John Day had a Chinese population numbering between five and six hundred residents. In 1870, there had been 3,300 Chinese in Oregon-- by the 1900s, there would be 10,370. 

With many small hate crimes, there was one more heinous than the rest-- the murder of 34 Chinese miners in May 1887 at Deep Creek on the Oregon side of the Snake River in Hell's Canyon. It is claimed the killers murdered the men, may have tortured some, and also took the gold they had mined. The crime was not discovered until some of the bodies were spotted downstream near Lewiston in Idaho Territory.

Because the victims had worked for the Sam Yup Company of San Francisco, the company directed a local, Lee Loi to find out more and make someone accountable. As happened so often in the American West, this wasn't an easy thing to accomplish as some lives were regarded as more important than others. 

Lee hired Judge Joseph Vincent to investigate. He reported his findings to the Chinese consulate in San Francisco. Help in getting justice was requested of the U.S. State Department without much result-- see above. It might have ended there; but in March of 1888, one of the men, with the gang that day, confessed and turned state's evidence against the rest. 

Six men and boys were indicted for murder. Three, including the presumed leader (who escaped from jail), fled and were never caught. Some local Wallowa County residents believed they took the gold with them, burying some, leading to possibly a different sort of treasure hunt. 

September 1, 1988, after a two-day trial, the defendants were found innocent by a local jury. Considering the widespread resentment against the Chinese, again, the verdict was not a surprise. 

In 1891, the father of one of the boys quoted his son, who had been fifteen at the time of the massacre, as saying his son confessed to him of the murders of 34 miners. Other accounts from locals at the time claimed from 31 to 34. 

The names of the Chinese victims are not known, but they were claimed to have come from Canton in China. The 1880 U.S. census put the nation's Chinese population at 105,400+. The men had come for work, sometimes fleeing violence in their home districts. They came without their
families and often lived lonely lives working in the US. More than those 34 faced violence. 

In Arizona Moon, my hero was a US Marshal and was told due to the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, that he should act to deport certain Chinese-- those who were farming lucratively along the Santa Cruz and had established businesses to sell their produce. He resisted the order, and it was instrumental in his disappointment regarding being a marshal where so much was political. 

The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first such law regarding immigration in the US and blatantly racist. It banned new arrivals but even more would not allow the Chinese already here to return to their families for visits. To do so, they would have to attain certificates for reentry and, given the times, those weren't easy to get. The Act also made Chinese immigrants unable to ever be citizens. After the Act's passage, Chinese men in the U.S. had little chance of ever reuniting with their wives, or of starting families in their new abodes. It was not repealed until 1943.

Where it came to unfairness such as the massacre on the Snake River, there is no making up to those murdered or the gold stolen. Beginning in 1995, there was an attempt to at least acknowledge the atrocity when a Wallowa County clerk uncovered old court documents including a copy of the 1888 grand jury indictment, description of the escape from jail by the gang leader, Bruce Evans, a lengthy deposition by Frank Vaughan regarding details of the crime, and finally transcripts from the trial itself. It revealed the full story of the horror.

In 2005, the name Chinese Massacre Cove was officially recognized by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names. In June of 2012, a memorial, at the site, was dedicated to honor the slain miners. It was totally paid for by private donations. The inscription there is in Chinese, Nez Perce, and English. (image from: http://nwasianweekly.com/2012/05/community-members-install-memorial-at-chinese-massacre-cove/)

Today, we recognize the important contributions of the Chinese to our country's development and to whom we are as a people, with our cultural roots coming from many places. Part of this acknowledgement was the dedication in Portland, Oregon to a downtown city block for a Chinese garden, currently called Lan Su Chinese Garden. Much care was taken to create a 14th century Chinese garden of a wealthy Chinese family, a scholar. 
 
I thought of using historic photos of the Chinese in the West. Some are quite interesting, but I chose instead to use these from one of our times in Lin Su because it illustrates something of the Chinese culture, some of which Americans appreciated and adopted along with the parts of our cities that are called Chinatowns. 

In the garden, the plants are ones that would be in a Chinese garden. Since they could not be imported due to current laws, they had to be found already here. The unique stones did come from China. The structures are true to Chinese culture. 

This garden is the upside to what sometimes had a very ugly downside. It's how we can learn and grow with our diversity. To me, it is an important
reminder of the beauty that came with the Chinese as they labored and helped build the West.
I began this intending to write about two Chinese men who arrived in John Day in the late 1880s. I quickly realized their experiences would be better understood in the broader context of the Chinese in the American West.  

My historical romances where I incorporated some of the Chinese story:


 

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I have a few Chinese friends and a few Chinese-American friends and am always sensitive to how our culture has this schizophrenic approach to Asians and how we treat them. I just finished reading about the terrible and murderous things we did to the Osage Indian tribe in the early days of the FBI when the laws were ignored and unenforced. We have a lot to account for.

Rain Trueax said...

Humans are so mixed in how they treat others-- sometimes even the same people can go for being very nice to brutal when someone different approaches them. Mobs especially bring this out. Our American history has a lot of ugliness in it :(

Joared said...

Rejection of those who are different seems never to end whatever the generation. I’ve had limited knowledge of the Chinese-American experience in earlier centuries since I expect fewer had yet gravitated to middle America where I lived most of my younger years. I guess the coastal states are where they initially would have settled. Sounds like some reprehensible acts occurred that I hadn’t heard as much about as the atrocities against other minorities. You must engage in considerable research for your books.

This reminds me that a few years ago after voting, as I walked outside to my car I was stopped by a lady I didn’t know who began to engage me in conversation. We had only chatted briefly when she somehow introduced into the conversation what seemed to be the point of her wanting to talk with me. After complimenting me as appearing to be a thoughtful person .... (how do they look I later wondered as I puzzled over this experience) ..... she began to express concern that so many Chinese were buying homes in her neighborhood. She was curious to know if the same was true where I lived. I remembered a year or so earlier a Dr. and family had lived near us for a while as I recalled their son and mine playing together, but they had moved. The manner of her inquiry suggested the influx of these residents was cause for concern. I found this curious, especially since she was Asian, though not Chinese. I never knew what this was all about for her though I did mention this unusual experience to a friend of Mexican heritage living in her neighborhood. She knew her but had no idea what had prompted that query — said the woman was Japanese. I’m aware of historial differences between Japan and China, but who knows what this was about. Seems the Chinese are yet an issue for some.

Rain Trueax said...

We have friends from China and Taiwan due to the nature of my husband's work with a corporation that was multinational. If they are of the same economic level, I've found it doesn't matter what nationality anyone is from as we'll have more in common. I think the bigger difference is widely different economic levels, like I can't imagine being friends with a multimillionaire (although I know a few because of living in the country where again there is more diversity). I feel like even in making a marriage work, it's easiest if people come from similar economic levels, with a similar upbringing. I know that's not true of all places where ethnicity might be a bigger aspect.

I have a funny story, sort of, when we had one of the Chinese couples here to dinner. I can't remember what else i had served but we were big on brown rice at that time and I had thought rice would be good. He asked-- This is good. What is it? lol. From then on, I made sure I served jasmine for such dinners ;). They were very like us for what they wanted in life and how they thought. He was a good work partner for my husband until their work changed and we don't hear from them now.

I think the big issue now has been Chinese feeling unfairly treated in colleges for not getting in as they aren't considered a minority because they aren't disadvantaged or they do too well maybe?

Competition for jobs was the big thing with the Chinese in the West and probably is still one of the main concerns today although it's beyond me why someone would worry about Chinese as neighbors. They would make excellent neighbors. Maybe it did though go to the Japanese and Chinese conflicts and some of those old wars (thinking Aremenian) definitely don't go away for generations.