Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, February 20, 2012

Divisions


Pretty much whenever we are not in an election year, I have said I was going to keep politics out of this blog. I would write about cultural issues but not going to go into political issues and politicians because I felt we needed to think positive for our health and good of our lives.

It didn't take long before I decided I had to have a place to rant and that became Rainy Day Things where I wrote whatever was on my mind politically and let this place stick to more pleasant topics like nature and life.

Well it's back to an election year and I am feeling like more than ever we need to care about politics and that I cannot discuss cultural issues here without them. So this is a warning to those who want the sweet side of life-- politics are going to be here with the issues and the politicians until after the election in November. I will, as I always have, put some sugar with the bitter by using recently taken photos generally of nature. And of course, there will be other things to write about sometimes. I don't live, breathe and eat politics, but I do care a lot about what's going on.

Putting politics back here is something I feel is critical because I see what is happening right now, with the divisions in our country, as impacting our daily lives, our future. What do we do about that is where we come into political solutions-- for those who don't want violent or otherwise revolutions.

In a lot of ways we have always been a divided country with historically half of us thinking one way and half the opposite. We have fought wars over it. We elect one political party and they go one way. The other heads off the other.  Some people love that back and forth as if having no firm direction is good.

Personally, I am not thrilled with either party at the moment, and some of what they do is plain nuts to me.  However one party threatens all the values I hold dear and it's not the Democrats.

I shake my head when I hear Democrats did something like want bigger big tax credits for anybody who buys a Volt (yeah I get it why but it still seems wrong to me). Equally I was not thrilled when Republicans did it for those who bought a Humvee or other gas guzzling vehicle. (interesting too how that same party would have let GM go down the tube-- so it sure wasn't about jobs they had their tax credit). Why can't these guys simply NOT have tax credits for buying any automobile?

There is a lot of concern on the right for our culture. Some of what worries them, I get. When I hear the big increase in children born outside of marriage [Statistics in Births], it's not just righties who are asking what is going on. 60+% of under 30s are having their babies while not married.

But I don't automatically think this means born from one-night stands. This seems to me as much about an increasing lack of faith in the whole system with people living together rather than marrying. Marriage is really a contract between two people and the government. When people lose faith in the system, they are probably less apt to commit not just to each other but to it.

So a lot of us are not thrilled at this situation (it's the same in England; so not Obama's fault but rather symptomatic of our times), but what is the solution from the right wing-- block access to birth control.  Say what! A person would laugh if it wasn't so pathetic. They also think (Rush Limbaugh types) that they should end food stamps and government entitlement programs. More starvation and less of this happening! Santorum would add to that by ending publicly funded education. Who cares what happens to those kids at least once they get born!


When I first read about the small town pharmacist (couple of years ago) who was refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control pills, I didn't realize this was about to be a trend-- actually the first volley in a very real culture war- and not just about trying to change minds but also to literally change laws.

How many understood that the 2010 mid-term elections were really about these cultural changes that right wingers then began to make like going after the unions which have been the engine for middle class Americans. When they go after unions, to block them from negotiating for better pay or working conditions, they are going after all middle class Americans.

There is no alternative party for people like me. It has to be the Democrats whether I like all they do or not. Listen to the right wing candidates who sound so eager to get into a war with Iran. It might come to that. I hope it won't, but if it does, I don't want it to be from leaders who are salivating over the possibilities to profit from it or from the American love of gladiators so they can get excited about someone else taking the risks they themselves don't want to take.

But what party could I support when I hear somebody joke, as a recent right wing moneybags did, about women keeping their legs together and they won't need birth control. Or when I read and see videos of what Santorum actually stands for and has said-- and he's leading the Republican pack-- even if that's only for the moment?

I thought about it with this blog whether to try and keep it a refuge. But heck there are plenty of blogs out there for that. I need to write what is on my mind and what my conscience dictates, and that means not just use 'Things' to vent those feelings. I also feel there is value in a place like this for others to comment and as a way to discuss issues and possible ideas. For awhile it seemed okay to have that in an adjunct to this one, but the problem keeps escalating to the point I think it is a cultural war and it's one I don't feel we can afford to lose.

The issue is what can we do about the nuttiness? I don't totally know but discussions in places like this seem like a good place to think about it. I will try to put up at least one blog a week that has something unpolitical for those who simply cannot stand to follow this sordid stuff.  This is no time to be silent though and frankly it's about all I have a lot of interest in writing other than my fiction.

I hope if you are someone who has decided to tune out, you will recognize what is at stake where it comes to donating, volunteering and voting. If it's okay with you what the right wants to do, then that's how it is. One side has to win. I want it to be mine and will be writing a LOT more about what I think is at stake.

I try to not get angry at things like this: [right wingers go wild against women around the country].  It's hard and worse than this is going on around the world. It's hard not to want to scream when I hear a woman like Liz Trotta trying to blame assaults on women in the military on the women themselves and those who helped women be allowed to have roles there commensurate with their abilities.

I have a granddaughter who will come of age possibly in a time where she won't know the freedoms my daughter had. That doesn't seem right and it does seem important to stand up to not let happen. I do not feel hopeless about this. I feel it's a time we have to fight for what earlier generations earned. It is our turn.


Oregon Coast February 18th--one of the ways we can be active, informed and still not go nuts!

10 comments:

joared said...

I think you've expressed some of the concerns many of us feel -- also frustration that desired changes come about so slowly or not at all.

I'm concerned that we could have what seems to me to be much like an American version of the Taliban -- that some who aspire to our nation's leadership could intentionally, or otherwise foster our nation becoming a theocracy, or much like one.

Anonymous said...

I'll say that an American Taliban is about as likely to occur as a Mexican Taliban-no way. There are a lot of issues that face us as a nation. How we solve them will affect our future. There's no doubt about it.

Darlene said...

The American Taliban is already here. It's members are those politicians like Michelle Bachmann and Rick Santorum and the right wing Evangelical Christians.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Rain, I'm glad to see you put politics back into your blog. You are very thoughtful in your political postings (not to imply that your other postings are not thoughtful).
Cop Car

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love your passion Rain, and agree with you 100%! I will do what I can do as a citizen and a voter...!
I'm not thrilled with the constant disregard of the ARTS by our Government either...I know that seems minor next to a woman's right to do whatever she wants with her own body...But....I believe a country is judged by many things and one of those things is the support and nurturing of The Arts.
Keep writing Rain....You are so eloquent and informed...WE NEED YOU!!!!

Dick said...

I think the independent voters of this country need to pay a lot of attention to the Republican events leading up to their naming their candidate. Whether or not you vote in November for that candidate, he could end up being the winner. There is no doubt who it will be on the Democratic side and now is the only time we the public will (perhaps) have any say in who emerges on the Republican side.

I keep hearing how this one or that one is not conservative enough. Well, I don't want one who is too "conservative" as we have been seeing how productive that is in the way our government has been functioning. We need a candidate who can and will compromise.

We need to elect a leader, not a dictator. I had hoped that Obama would bring open government to us but much of what I've seen come from him hasn't been that. I don't know who actually created Obama Care but it sure wasn't talked about very much until it hatched and we were stuck with it. But to not vote is really not a good option either. Then you have no right to complain about what we get.

la peregrina said...

Hear, hear, Rain, well said.

Taradharma said...

I think, I hope, the crazy anti-woman agenda that is coming out of the GOP will backfire on them this November. When 98 percent of Catholic women say they use birth control, well, the Bishop is just plain out of touch.

The GOP is a fookin' 3 ring circus right now. Falling all over themselves to control women's bodies. Where is talk of economic recovery and the plans for getting Americans back to work? There aint none.

helena said...

Thank you for this post! I just began a blog to help me explore growing older as a post-career feminist family-advocate with different kinds of energy than I had 40 years ago when I marched for the Equal Rights Amendment. Now I find my anger compels me to struggle with how I want to "show up" with this year's election issues. A diversion from my original intent? I don't know yet, but I agree that "Divisions" can invite us to be sure our story isn't written by others, but by us.

Meryl Baer said...

I'm with Taradharma. i hope the far right agenda of the GOP backfires. I think we got such a bunch of GOP far-righters going after the Presidency is that the moderates realized they would be destroyed, both politically and personally, by the likes of their opponents, Limbaugh, and their followers. I find the intolerance of the far right very, very scary.