Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A rock garden at the farm

After seeing the stone gardens at [Manzanar], I wanted the feeling of one here at the farm, and I had the perfect place for it. It was a part of our yard that absolutely had never had any success with anything. It gets too wet in the winter for it to keep flowers healthy, couldn't keep grass growing even when we used already growing sod, and yet it's very important as it's what you see as you come down our driveway-- first impression. It is also visible right outside our large living room window.

To lay ground work, we visited a local stone store where we selected the shapes that we thought would let us create a stone Japanese lantern. We ordered a truck load of river rock from another source which we had dumped out by the barns as whatever we cannot use near the house will go to the sheep barn and the hope to get them, and us when down there, out of the mud. We also drove to Portland to see the Japanese and Chinese gardens for more ideas.

The basic goal was a rock stream bed, a stone Japanese style lantern, and a small pool which would be created from one of the plastic shapes you can buy at places like Home Depot. (For that we will have to acquire some gambuzia (mosquito fish) to make sure we don't end up with a lot of mosquitoes). I think the pool is too small for goldfish although I'd love it if it wasn't. Safest though are the gambuzia which we got for a small pool we had created in the house where we lived before this one.

With some of the big farm tools Farm Boss has (backhoe, ATV and a trailer for it) we still had some parts, of putting this rock where we needed it, that were hard on the back and muscles. The results, although not finished, have been very pleasing even though I had a couple of days where I thought the pain would never end. Nothing like moving around rock to remind you of what kind of physical shape you are really in.

I am still tweaking this and that, moving the rock edges, but it's taking a form that pleases me and will until the fall comes and oak leaves make this a challenge to keep it clear. I am thinking maybe a tarp over it for a month or so...

Cat in the photo with me is Blackie who actually adores Farm Boss and tolerates me except when I am outside and working at something. Then I become of interest to be forgotten again as soon as I am back in the house. He is a cat that loves outdoor projects and being part of them.

8 comments:

Paul said...

I like rock gardens. They seem to put me in a good place...:-)

Kay Dennison said...

It's really lovely!!!!!!!!! I still haven't got my flower beds looking decent!

mandt said...

Well done!

Celia said...

I love the rock lantern, what a great idea. And I'm going to use your idea about covering the area with a tarp in the fall, I have some stuff I spend too much raking and picking the leaves off. Very creative.

Taradharma said...

nice solution for that space! And something tells me Blackie is going to be drinking often from that water source.

Your visit to Manzanar inspired, me , too, though I won't be constructing any rock garden. I have vowed to make the trek there in the next year. All because of your posts.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really glad to discover this. cool job!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Oh, Rain, I just love your rock garden! You are so darned creative to begin with so it was bound to be beautiful. It's especially meaningful because you got the idea from Manzanar. Your little black cat is adorable even though he/she sounds fickle when it comes to indoor time with you. My patio garden is very small so a rock garden isn't feasible, but it does make me think.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I used to be a great rock gardener. I don't know when that stopped but may work on that. A great project to share with a teen age grandson coming soon. Thanks for the inspiration.