Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Larkspur and Lambs





It's hard to believe how few really sunny days we have had this spring in my part of the Coast Range and Willamette Valley. The days have been mostly of the gray sort with rain sprinkled in enough to take care of any talk of drought until, well at least the end of the summer-- unless we get one of those green tomato summers where it rains and is gray and cooler than usual. They happen now and again without any global climate change, just normal variation.

So on one of our gorgeous sunny days, I took advantage and got photos of both lambs and larkspur. The larkspur are considerably later than usual at a small park not far from the farm. We haven't had any on the farm most likely because of all the years it has been a livestock operation.

Although, as I wrote earlier, it's been a tough year for losing calves, we have had a bumper lamb crop with few losses. In the first photos of the lambs, you will see Pinto, who I photographed a lot when she was born for her unusual markings (then-- now we are getting more and more like her). The black ewe we named Diva for all the problems we had with her near death experiences last summer. She is doing well and had her lamb a bit late this year probably due to all those accidents and recoveries last summer.

Personally I'd love more sunshine for days like these with the lambs and larkspur.


7 comments:

Paul said...

Nice flower pics Rain...:-)

Celia said...

Green tomato summer, it could be. My tomato plants are a lovely green and totally stunted. Love the sheep with their circles around their eyes. A little sun is peeking out here in Walla Walla, seems to be two days of rain, one of sun and wind, and then repeat.

mandt said...

Fried green tomatoes! yummmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Always love seeing your lambs. I had forgotten about larkspur and how beautiful it is. Makes me want to plant some around here. We finally have sun. Longest dreariest winter I have ever seen.

Taradharma said...

I thought of you and your lambs when I found a newish website today:
http://quailmeadowsretreat.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-grandma-sort-of.html

you might enjoy her lamb-birthing post. beautiful photos, Rain!

Darlene said...

Lovely photos of the Larkspur. I always enjoy looking at little lambs, but was especially taken by the little black lamb. It made me think of the nursery rhyme, "Baa Baa black sheep. Have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full."

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Awww, I love the lambs and the larkspur.