Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Vote for Barack Obama

This week-end, Farm Boss and I spent in Medford. He went fishing with our son-in-law on the Rogue River, and I had quality time with our daughter and two grandkids.

With the campaign season almost over, I thought what my daughter wrote about why she supported Obama would make an excellent last post. It is okay to be against something, but it's far more powerful when we are for something. Here is what she wrote:


*****************************************
Why I voted for Barack Obama

This year will be the first time I have ever voted for the candidate of my choice. My primary choices never made it to the nomination (in fact they were either protest votes or incredible long shots). I am proud to say that I voted for Barack Obama in the primary and the general election. For the first time ever, my vote is not for the "lesser of two evils", but the candidate that I honestly believe will be a good
president.

I took the kids to see John Kerry speak because it was an historic event and because I was very discouraged and dismayed by the direction that George W. Bush was leading us (As a side note, I would have taken them to see the President too, but we couldn't because we aren't Republicans). I canvassed for Kerry, not so much because I thought he was great but because I thought Bush was awful. Last Sunday I took the
kids to canvas for Obama because I think he is the president we need for the challenges our country faces.

I started out to write a lot of stuff about Obama and his background, how he is the fulfillment of the American Dream. etc. I wrote a bunch of stuff about how I think he will address the major issues in front of us - global warming, the economic recession, nuclear proliferation, world poverty and, it's related issue, terrorism. And I can send you all that stuff if you are interested with links to supporting articles. But when I worked through what I was thinking, I realized that the reason I voted for Obama with such enthusiasm is because of the kind of man he is.

Barack Obama has excelled at everything he's set himself to do. You may get into Harvard on affirmative action, but you certainly do not become president of the Harvard Law Review on it. Many junior Senators never get through a single piece of legislation. He's pushed through several big ones (keeping nuclear weapons from terrorists, government transparency, etc.) with bipartisan help. He took the gifts he was given and has made the most of them. He obviously works hard at whatever he sets himself to do. Look at how he's run this campaign. I've never seen one like it. Why would he be any different with the presidency?

He is an intellectually curious man and an extremely intelligent one. He thinks things through. I think he's a diagnostician. He looks at the choices and makes the best decision he can. He surrounds himself with smart people and actually listens, but makes his own call.

He is able to talk to people. I think that is one of the things that will make Obama a great president. Don't forget that he was a teacher. He can explain things to people in a way that helps them understand. That he is eloquent and able to move people I see as an asset. We are going to have to make difficult decisions in the coming years and we are going to have to do things that we don't like. We must have a leader
that can motivate us and bring us together. And not just us Americans, but the entire world. The problems that we face will not be dealt with on our own and we are going to have to work with the rest of world. We need a leader that is respected world wide and that can speak to the world community. Eloquence and inspiration is going to be required.

He is above all else a family man and I admire that. Whenever my children see pictures of him with his kids they say "Oh, that's just like Daddy." I agree. Look at these pictures. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/16/the-obamas-greatest-famil_n_132339.html


I see in Obama the ability to listen, process opposing ideas, make a decision and then pull people together to make it happen. He is calm, reasoned and intelligent, able to synthesize opposing viewpoints and make a logical decision. Read this article in Time about Obama http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1853025-1,00.html

In short, I believe he is the best man for the job. I think we only see transformational candidates like this once in a great while. Did you see Colin Powell's endorsement? If you didn't you should look for it on the internet.

I by no means consider Obama a "messiah". I don't think he's going to "save" our country. Only hard work from all of us is going to fix our problems. That is one of the things I like the very best about what he says. On every issue, he calls for personal responsibility. He tells us we are going to have to work. When was the last time we were asked to do anything by our government? It's about time.

I do not agree with him on every issue. I never do. It would be impossible for a candidate to share my opinion on every topic. I just think his over-all philosophy works for me. He's been painted by the Republicans as the most liberal Senator. I find that funny because progressive liberals think he's too conservative and don't like his stand on lots of issues. That says to me that he's probably somewhere near the center, left of center, but still center, and that is where we are going to find the common ground to fix things.

That's it, my endorsement for Barack Obama. Think about it.

14 comments:

Darlene said...

Rain, your daughter is a wise young woman and you must have taught her to think critically. Her assessment of Obama is one I share completely and she writes so well and coherently that it becomes plain to all who will read her essay that Obama is the right man for this time in our country.

I know you must be justly proud of her and she of you.

Kay Dennison said...

Your daughter is a bright and eloquent young woman. I really respect what she's said.

Now we wait.

Bottom line is that we come together tonorrow and do our best to make this country better no matter who wins.

robin andrea said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful, compelling endorsement. Your daughter is very bright and a wonderful writer. I see all the things that she does in Barack Obama, and I'm glad I voted early for him. I hope by tomorrow morning he will be our President-elect. Good luck to us all.

Sylvia K said...

I can only "ditto" everything that the others have said! It is a thoughtful, wise, intelligent comment on Obama and our country. You've done well, Rain, and she vouches for that.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Let's hope that this day heralds much-needed change in this country. Thank you for all of the thoughtful posts...

Anonymous said...

Well said daughter !!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written yet it's to the point succinctly...you've brought in so many inspirational points...both you and your daughter. We share your enthusiasm, and hope we'll all be surprised about how many others will declare that today in the booths.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

And now we wait. Sounds like you and Farm Boss had a nice weekend. I hope that your daughter's logic and warmth is what the younger generations look like these days. Solid values.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I am proud of your daughter saying so well the reasons Obama will make a most effective president. And I like her positive tone. Obama asked us to stick to the issues but the way he explains his issues both on the web and in talking to other people always confirmed my initial belief in his Presdidential talents. He has a voice that will be soothing and conducive to thinking clearly. He is dedicated to representing the people and he is so focused on his belief in us and the times, he does not have a blown up ego. Wit a healthy ego, he can hear all sides - a necessary trait for negociating and unifying people.

Ugich Konitari said...

Congratulations to everyone in America. Its Wednesday morning in Mumbai, and I have just heard Obama speak at Chicago ! A very inspiring speech....Rain, I learned so much about what is imnportant to america , from reading your posts. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

One word, USA : YES!!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFULLY SAID!

And here we are Rain....What a Historic Day for this wonderful country we live in.....!

I wept and wept and wept, because I was so moved by what we, as Americans, had done....

HOORAY FOR US!
And HOORAY FOR OBAMA!

Anonymous said...

If I could vote for Barack Obama I would Rain. Isn't it just wonderful, I am overjoyed and so excited, Barack is America's next President.

This is the blog of my cousins son who has been over in Virginia from Dublin, working as a volunteer.

http://ianmcgahon.wordpress.com/

Suzann said...

Well put by your daughter - she has strong values and a clear voice with which she shares her opinions. Thank you so much Rain for all the thoughtful work and writing you shared with us all in the past few months. I am most appreciative of your generosity and of course, awed your analysis of issues. Thank you again - OMG - President-Elect Obama!!!! We did it!!