Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Professionals

For a woman who prides herself in knowing about all the western movies that have ever been made (even if she chose not to see some of them), The Professionals, which was released in 1966, came as a real surprise. Not only had I never heard of it when a friend loaned it to us, but I wasn't sure I cared.

The cover of the DVD didn't excite my interest. It was a western but set in 1912 which is kind of past the main era one thinks of as the west in the most heroic sense. Do these guys look like cowboys? Are they wearing cowboy hats? See, can't be a real western. Except I should have known better as two of my favorite authors of westerns, William Macleod Raine and Zane Grey, really did see the west and based many of their books after WWI.

So where was I? ah yes, The Professionals. It has a fantastic cast-- Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Jack Palance, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, and Claudia Cardinale. The primary male leads, Marvin and Lancaster, work well together with their great acting, humor, caring, toughness, and yes, professionalism.

For one of the scenes, as Palance and Lancaster are trying to kill each other while having a philosophical discussion, the film would be worth seeing if for no other-- but there are many others. Lee Marvin delivers one of the best final lines of any film I have seen-- which I won't give away here but oh it's hard to resist.

Richard Brooks, the director, wanted to make a film that dealt with what professionalism meant as he felt we were, as a nation, losing it. That was 1966. It's only gone downhill since where greed has become the main criteria of success.

So lots of actions, some great quotes, beautiful cinematography, and a love story that not only rang true but made me a little teary with its beauty.

And did I mention the men? *sigh* The leads were the kind of men, where their 40s and 50s are their prime, and yes there was a beautiful woman for male viewers to enjoy-- two of them. I took one look at Jack Palance (who was 47 when it came out) and thought wow! I am really really going to like this movie-- and I did.

But the main thing is when the last credits roll, you feel good. It was one of the best westerns I have ever seen and I'd put it right up there with Red River-- which for me is as good as the compliments get.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never cared for westerns, which is strange as my mom loved them. I DID grow up watching Wagon Train, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, etc. There sure were lots of them on tv in the 50's.
Glad you enjoyed your movie....it did sound good and the guys were so handsome back then.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Got it in my NetFlix queue!

Anonymous said...

I always liked westerns, but can't remember this one--but then, I can't remember s--t, as they say. I was always Belle Starr as a kid when we played cowboys and Indians. Who were you?

I'm babysitting my little grandsons tonight so I'm finally doing some blogwalking on the laptop. Ever since I got back from WA, I've been de-energized, but things started picking up yesterday.

Anonymous said...

They just don't make them like that anymore. Too bad. We all need some entertainment that makes us feel good at the end of it, so I'll check it out. Your film endorsements have not failed me yet. Claudia Cardinale was one of my favorites many years ago -- easy on the eyes and not a bad actress, though she never seemed to land the big roles.

Sandy said...

I've never heard of this movie either and I'm a western movie fan. Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Rain, I've never watched many westerns. I read all of Zane Grey years ago - but have no desire to do it again. In fact, I rarely ever watch movies. Always mean to, but I'm either too into my books, or think I'm too busy. I keep buying them, though, and some day...

Dick said...

That is not one I am familiar with either but it sounds good if for no other reason than the actors involved. Maybe someday I'll get things caught up around here enough that I can again watch a movie.

We did manage to take a few hours today (Memorial Day) and go visit my son's Navy ship. He took us on a personal tour that was very educational. We also took Pat's 13 YO grandson and he really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Great cast !