Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, May 20, 2007

Religion

Last summer, the Thai Buddha in my living room led to some questions from my almost eight year-old granddaughter while she was visiting for a week-end. She wanted to know what it was. I briefly explained about the Buddha, who he was, what he taught, that this is one of many interpretations representing stages of his life, and she mulled that over.

A bit later she said, I guess you are into goddesses. I replied, actually no, I am in no religion as such but would call myself Christian if I called myself anything. T
hat quieted her for a bit. She has been hearing a lot about what a Christian might be from a fundamentalist little friend of hers, who had made saving my granddaughter her duty; and she knew that I'm nothing like that.

The conversation went off and on for an hour or so, and maybe she
was satisfied with the answers regarding her grandmother's view of spirituality, or maybe she just gave it up for awhile. She did come back to it later on the way into town when she mentioned she thought it was a bit like the chicken and the egg question to decide what is true. Not bad wisdom from an eight year-old.

Because I hav
e some negative views of religion and how it has impacted people through the ages, I didn't want to inflict those on her. I believe with grandchildren, it's important to expose them to ideas but not push them. I do want her to be wise about the world.

A bit later, I did more thinking about the conversation she had begun. I asked a spiritually wise friend of mine what he thought was the purpose of religion.

"
In its more basic consideration, 'religion' is little more than a specific pathway for anyone to use to reestablish their consciousness with the higher frequency realms of existence," he said. "In the secondary pathways, once attuned, just about anything can be accomplished, because we can override what scientists call “physics”. He added those purposes for religion have mostly been lost or twisted.

For me, to de
fine religion simply would say it's a refined (through group experience) set of beliefs and practices which can be taught, where groups can participate together to give them a sense of empowerment as well as belonging.

A positive religion would explain mankind's connection and obligations to life and/or to the holy. When it's good, it explains this through stories and teachings that improve life for all. When it's bad, it throws virgins into volcanoes.

Religion could use music and dance as methods to bring human vibrations more in tune with the Divine or the opposite. It certainly can be used to build group hysteria, to maintain power for the religion itself, and to go off on holy crusades which might mean wars or simply visiting foreign lands to rewrite those people's views of the cosmos.

Generally, religious leaders, whether they are called pastor or shaman, supposedly stand between the spirit world and humans in terms of interpreting the will of that particular god. Too often they convince humans that they can abdicate their own responsibility to figure things out as they trust in that spiritual leader to do it for them. These leaders serve as buffers to protect people from the wrath of the divine mystery and power. They are those who can explain what is required to be saved. Many religions have some concept of heaven or the other side and believe through following the dictates of their religion, the practitioner can attain a better future life-- here and afterward.

Sometimes instead of helping men have a better life here on this earth, more in tune with what is, religions force them to deny reality and the natural universe as a sign of their faith.
If a religion contradicts the existing world, what can be seen and measured, it gradually causes the 'believer' to deny their own insights, their own view of life, their own ability to reason. A faith not in tune with reality is as phony as the worldview it is presenting, but it is now protected from anyone denying it is the truth-- since it is the only truth that they can consider. The extreme examples lead to drinking poison kool-aid or blowing up their own bodies to achieve some special reward in heaven.

Unfortunately, too many people today look to a candidate's religion to decide if they are going to be trustworthy leaders. In our country, they believed Bush when he said that he ran for the presidency because he believed god had told him to do so-- and they needed to know nothing more about him. In defining who the candidates were in a recent debate, the religion they espoused came second on the list. Could an atheist be elected president in the United States?

Discussion to be continued next blog.

(This sculpture was one I photographed many years ago on Vancouver Island, in a small park off the side of the road leading north. It appeared to be made of stone, was bigger than lifesize. I have no idea where it came from nor what it represented, but over the years I have felt that it does stand for man or woman as well as the mystery of life.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought-provoking post, Rain and I look forward to the next installment. Your 8 year old granddaughter sounds like a very wise--and curious--child. I know you have many spiritual symbols in your house and garden and I applaud you for explaining things to her from your POV in such a down-to-earth and honest fashion. I like your friend's description of religion, too.

I'm finally coming up for air so you'll see me commetning again soon. I've missed you.

Kay Dennison said...

What a wonderful post, Rain! I can't wait for what comes next! You've made some excellent points here and I think you gave your grandaughter very wise counsel.

As to your question, no, I don't think an openly atheist candidate could be elected President. I do think we've had a lot of presidents who are Christiams in name only. I think there are a couple candidates like that running right now and I won't mention names.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I congratulate you on how well you have clarified your spiritual journey for your grand daughter as well as setting her free to think for herself.

Anonymous said...

Your granddaughter does sound like she has a lot of insight, for one so young.
I also liked your defintion of religion.
As for me, I went to a Catholic school for 8 years and even back then, during the 50's, I still remember the nuns teaching us about "separation of church and state." It was adhered to back then.
With the Adm. we now have, I've had to question how and when did this very important concept get sidetracked? Just my opinion, but....I feel it all started during the Reagan years, with the Evangelicans, the religious right, etc. They rose to more and more power in our government and our government welcomed it. It was very insidious....and now, I feel it's becoming deadly. Deadly and wrong! I remember growing up and NOBODY, in a social gathering would dare to ask what your religious beliefs were or try to sway you....not so today! We have Christian book stores, Christian music, Christian this, Christian that. How in the world did our country get to this very dangerous segment in our society? I have no answers....I only know it's wrong to merge religion into our government and politics. Our country certainly was not founded on this concept.

Anonymous said...

PS...NO way could an atheist be elected in our country at this time in our history. The Evangelican Christians would never allow it!

Ingineer66 said...

I am just as concerned as most everyone else about over zealous so called Christians running this country, but this nation was founded by God fearing people that required that you go to church on Sundays. They did not want membership to be required in a certain church, but belief in God was pretty much required.
And yes we have Christian stores and such, but we also have Mosques and Bhudist temples and other religious places all over this country. I think there is more celebration of religion in general, which is not necessarily a bad thing unless they try to push their views on me, like the islamists are trying to do in much of the world.

Anonymous said...

I doubt than an Atheist could be elected to high office in our country, but Christians,Jews, Buddhists,Gays and Lesbians have so I expect that one will someday. No religion can claim to be the only one in which "good" people worship.