Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Apocalypto

When Apocalypto came to movie theaters, I decided I'd not see it because of what I had read would be gratuitous and graphic violence. I have rarely been a fan of mayhem or Mel Gibson. For me to see a film about violence requires there to be some higher purpose. Then the DVD for Apocalypto was released, and I cannot explain what led to a change of my mind. Maybe it was because I figured if the violence was too much, I could escape it. I also believed it was a film that I should see; so I bought it-- which means I was guessing I'd want to see it more than once.

I have always had a fascination with ancient cultures especially in the Americas. Because the Mayans had a fairly advanced culture for their times-- the good guys to the Aztec bad guys-- they have been of interest to many people. Who were they? Did they know things from which we today might benefit? The Mayans are also the ones with the calendar that ends in 2012 which is setting up a whole group of people for another millennium scenario about world's end.

What people today actually know about the Mayans, because of the destruction of their writings by Catholic priests, is based on oral histories, pictographs, buildings, and any discovered cultural artifacts as well as burial grounds. Anthropologists, who look at the current people's stories (who are descended from the Mayans), as well as archaeologists, who excavate the known sites, almost universally didn't like Apocalypto's creative license. They admired Mayan advances, of which there were many, wanted the story to be about that, felt that Gibson was using too much imagination to create a story that actually put down Mayans and depicted European priests as their rescuers. (I didn't see the story that way at all.)

Gibson didn't use models or computer simulations but instead real actors to portray a culture that destructed due to possibly its own excesses. He built pyramids. He took his crew and cast back into a world that no longer exists. The detail taken with things like costuming adds grace notes to what was already an impressive visual treat. If you see this film, watch the commentary on it for added appreciation.

The story is first and foremost an allegory. Those scientists who wanted a documentary missed the point. Apocalypto does what allegories do-- uses a people, an event, or a story to illustrate a bigger truth. Any recreation of the Mayan world is going to be based on speculation and fantasy-- whether you use dug up bones and oral histories or your imagination.

Given what I had been led to believe about this movie's violence, I was surprised I only had to close my eyes a couple of times. Yes, death was shown to be brutal. Uh would people prefer it to be like the television westerns I grew up with where you hit a guy hard with your fist, smash a gun over his head and no concussion, no spurting blood, no real injury? I think sanitized brutality too often has led people to get into or support wars with no understanding of their cost. For me, the violence, although graphic and extensive, was not gratuitous. It was necessary. It is also not a picture for children.

How do I begin to list all the things to which this poetic film spoke? I want to use the word epic but usually that's reserved for stories that last over a long span of time and this one is not long in the time in the character's life. It is nonetheless epic.

The story is about how religion corrupts, how some people use it to gain power when they no longer even believe in it. It's about how there is spiritual power in the world, that we can connect with it through opening our self to it. It's about, whatever happens to us, it's how we react that determines its meaning. Fear is our biggest enemy. Greed and a constant desire for more undermines any culture or individual. There was spiritual power depicted in this movie but the kind that comes with an inner connection to the spirit world.

Don't see Apocalypto with the idea that it will tell you who the Mayans were or accurately depict historic events. Yes, it has pieces of who they were, some darned good ones, but it is about a broader concept of who mankind is, who we can be, and especially what can happen when we turn over our spirituality to someone else. Mayans are a vehicle for a warning to us all.

What I think a lot of the critics missed, when they accused the film of putting down the Mayans, was that in the end, a Mayan character, who had led a more natural existence, had worked for his food, loved his family, been taught by a wise father, listened to his inner voice and that of his land, it was that man who was the victor over the cultural excesses of others who had come from his same roots but made other choices. It was that Mayan, whose descendants still live there, that man was the one who overcame what destroyed the others-- fear.

And someone could see none of what I wrote, watch it purely as an adrenaline pumping action film, and it would still be worth seeing. For me it was inspiring... and dang it all... Mel Gibson made it!? (reassessing Mel Gibson)

(Although I very much enjoyed this movie, my caveat on a recommendation comes down to the violence. If it is disturbing to you, then it might be something to skip.)

9 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks Rain. I was thinking I would skip this one, but I just might watch it now. Would you say the violence is more or less graphic than Saving Private Ryan?

Sandy said...

I have that movie rented (7 day rental) and am hoping to watch it in between moving/graduation/company etc. LOL, so I skipped most of what you wrote until I do just that.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

"Apocalypto" is on my list now.

Rain Trueax said...

I actually have never seen Saving Private Ryan (rarely watch war movies, never see horror movies where the terror and violence are constant).

In the ritual sacrifice scenes, you see the horror on the victim's face, the heart in the priest's hands but you don't have a digitial recreation of it being cut out. I would say for any movie rated R for violence, it's about on that level. I did see A History of Violence and for me it was less intense than that. The real horror was what people were not only tolerating but cheering-- that was scary for the era in which we are currently seeing ourselves.

I had to put up the little code letters because of spam. I hope that will lessen and I'll try it again without eventually. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks Rain. Saving Private Ryan was incredibly graphic especially when they first storm the beach. It also made it harder to watch for me, because it was depicting a real event, not some stupid horror movie.
That sucks about the spammers. A few bad apples make things tougher for everyone.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I admit to not being able to get past the fact that Mel Gibson is an Anyi-Semite, as is his father. So, I feel a prejudice towards him based on his prejudice towards me....!
So, though I value your opinion Rain...I do not think I would ever see the film---let alone buy it!
But thanks for your review, my dear.

As to the NEW Blogger....they also lost that button where you could retrieve the post before you began editing at that time...I will never understand taking away things that were helpful, sometimes, and replaccing them with other things that may be more streamlined, but in the long run, can be a real problem...as you described!

Mary Lou said...

EEK! Hard to read the code....My eyes dont work right...

I have not seen Passion of the Crist nor Apocalypto, as I just do not like blood and gore. I like movies that take me AWAY and allow me to think the whole world is a beautiful place. I know it isnt, and I am bombarded with it everyday on the evening news.

You write so well, Rain.

Anonymous said...

Definitely sound like it's worth watching. But when???? The sun is shining!

You said a mouth full with "Greed and a constant desire for more undermines any culture or individual". I think that 'keeping up with the Jones' is going to be the end of us all.

joared said...

I share oldoldlady of the hills view of Gibson, so I really don't want to support his business ventures. You do make the movie sound interesting and rather different than what I have heard about it.

As for the reference to the well-meaning missionaries treatment of cultures with beliefs other than their own, many of the Hawaiian people believe they were not only betrayed but exploited in the name of religion -- talk about trust broken, along with Native American Indians.