Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, November 23, 2008

a meme about me

Normally I avoid memes but once in awhile, I get tagged (this time by Kay at Kay's Thinking Cap) and looking at the question find it is an easy one without any work attached in answering. What I am not comfortable doing is tagging six other bloggers even though I can think of a few that it would be interesting to read their random facts. Except, I'm a Libra... what if they don't want to do it?

So I will answer the question for me; and if it is intere
sting to you, please do it and leave a link here to let readers know.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you
Post the rules on your blog
Tag six people at the end of the post
Let each person know they've been tagged
Link to the tagees, when their entries are up

Six Random Things about Me:

  1. I am 5' 6½" tall and used to think I was tall, but it's becoming less and less so as young women get taller, which bothers me as I liked being the tallest woman, sometimes tallest person even, in a store. (Double checking my height, since I know people do lose height as they age, I am still 5'6½"... for now).
  2. I am not actually shy but am an introvert which means I am not intimidated by people, can actually stand up in front of a group and speak if required, get along fine at parties, enjoy time with family and friends-- but need more time alone than say an extrovert. I don't feel a need to be life of the party, don't need the reinforcement of being in groups, and do benefit emotionally and creatively from a lot of solitary time.
  3. Most of the time, in my own home, like when writing this, I prefer quiet-- no radio or television in the background. Part of this is to hear if the animals outside are in trouble-- and they will definitely let me know. Cow bellowing too long might mean calf down or sheep hooves pounding past could mean predator in field. Still even without livestock, I enjoy the sound of nature outside the window or even no sounds hence keep all household noise to the bare minimum. TV or radio are only on when I want to listen to something specific or am sitting watching a program. As background, it'd only make me nervous.
  4. If I didn't stop myself, my wardrobe would be all black. I make myself buy colored tops and then mostly wear the black or brown ones. I celebrated when deep brown became a popular color. Pastels not only don't look good on me, but I just don't care for them in my house or on my body.
  5. I like candles, buy boxes of all sizes, and burn a lot but always white. Whether it's a votive, a long taper, or a column, I want white ones with no scent. To me, the perfectly decorated room has candles burning everywhere, electric lights off, and a fire in the fireplace. With three cats, I have to be cautious about where I set candles; so I find safe places and good solid holders that don't tip easily. (I might add candlelight reflects off my white hairs making them look blondish, and hides facial lines.)
  6. Getting old has been interesting, but I can't say I'm crazy about it other than considering the alternative. I find it amazing to have gotten to 65, wonder what is coming next, and sometimes glance at myself in a mirror and catch a reflection that looks like one of my aunts or grandmothers (who have long since passed on). Aging is a mix of making the best of it, facing it for what it is, and thinking-- oh my gosh!
(We have a new camera in our family-- Canon's Rebel xsi which took the above photo. Costco offered it with two lenses, both with Image Stabilization which considering how shaky I am (familial tremors, a seventh random fact) is going to be a big help toward less failed photographs. It also will shoot faster when the cattle, sheep, wildlife, or grandchildren are in motion.)

10 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Always fun to find out the tidbits about one another -- but already knew most of it. Good picture and congrats on the new camera, that should provide lots of fun. Have a great Sunday!

Kay Dennison said...

I loved your answers but from our marathon talks, I think I knew a lot of that but I for got you were a Libra -- no wonder we're friends such great friends!

Anonymous said...

Rain I like black (in clothes) too. :-)

Darlene said...

Ever since my daughter started a fire in our house with a burning candle I am leery of them, but do light them when I have company. They do cast a warm glow and make me think of romances long gone.

As I read more of your blog I learn more about you and that makes you real. I hope you do get back to Tucson next year and we can finalize a friendship.

Mary Lou said...

SOmehow I just KNEW you were all of those things listed!! :)

Linda said...

I also suffer from familial tremors and I really notice them when I'm trying to make pictures.

A neurologist told me a small amount of wine would stop them if I were going out and didn't want people to notice the tremors. He's right, stops them every time but of course they come back.

I don't do calligraphy anymore.

Rain Trueax said...

Good reminder on candles, Darlene. I don't go off and leave them burning either. Also you have to watch column candles as they sometimes have wicks that can end up long and falling into something nearby because of metal in them. Someone we know lost their home to such a tragic mistake. I had an Advent candle fall over before a Christmas dinner one year and burn against my hutch. The burn mark is still there as a good reminder.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very interesting Rain.....I DO find that some MEMES like this one fill in lots of things about a person....And I find that really fun, because I learn things I wouldn't have known any other way--(Most Likely).

I must say, I felt as you did when I was 65 and actually felt really great, physically....Now, 12 1/2 years later...Well, I'm not happy about how I feel or look....lol! So, I hope that is NOT what's coming for you, my dear.
I loved the way you described needing and loving the silence in your house so you can be aware of all the "nature" that is outside....!
And candles are wonderful, aren't they?
Lovely picture, Rain....Have fun with the NEW Camera....!

Suzann said...

Rain, you are so beautiful - I loved your answers too. I am 5'8" and I used to be the tallest among women - not anymore - I am probably average height now. I have been this tall since I was 12 - so naturally, I was by far the tallest person (girl or boy) in my class and school for a couple of years.

Anonymous said...

Yup, getting shorter :-(

Oh, and the spine too ;-)