Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Denying old age its natural role

When I began this blog, I expected to write more about aging than I have-- 8 posts on it as compared to 82 on politics. I think that's happened partly because even though I am aging myself (turned 64 in early October), I have often not been quite sure what I wanted to say about the whole experience.

I see that old age, as a stage of life, has a purpose. Denying we are old doesn't make being old go away. It behooves us to think what the purpose for this time of life might be. When we try to deny being old, think on it as a failure of the body, a thing to hide, a thing to not recognize in ourselves or others, we miss out on a crucial piece of living a whole life.

What living a wholly experienced lifetime means won't be the same for each of us which is one of the wonderful things about life-- that we are individuals and our needs don't fit into cookie cutter shapes. Yes, by my time in life, the years ahead will are far less than those behind and some opportunities are in my past, but I also recognize there are some now that weren't possible earlier.

Like a lot of people in their 60s or even younger, I sometimes wrestle with the changes. Although I now take statins, physically I haven't yet noticed big differences in strength or health that I can correlate simply to age; but probably that is because I am not required to labor hard all day.

The changes I do see are reminders of what is happening and not denying them is part of what I think is needed for old age. I have heard elders saying that they feel like 30. Maybe they do, but they are not. What is it about these elder, senior, crone, geezer years that is unique, that can make them worthwhile? Why do people want to deny them?

I wonder if the huge emphasis in our current culture on trying to look younger is partly attempting to deny the process we are going through because it leads to death. When we look into a mirror and see lines, sags or gray hair, does it remind us our time on earth has a limit? Reminds us the body has a life span and that makes us afraid? Do we want to erase those signs or not see them in others because they are ugly or is it because they are the symbols that life does not last forever? They are the body's way of saying-- make the most of this time as it has a span.

Nature is full of change as the seasons illustrate. Most of those cycles keep going round and round without anything permanent changing. A full moon is a full moon and was the same when I was a toddler as now when I am 64. That full moon shines down on a woman, however, who is not. And I struggle with that sometimes. Sometimes I glory in it.

We can use all those magic creams, take the right vitamins, exercise up the wahzoo, but our organs, skin and joints are still our biological age-- minus how hard we worked them leaving the risk of joint replacements if we have overdone it.

What I work on is finding the balance between aging gracefully and giving up. Some do give up. They say okay I ate right all of my life or exercised. I smiled when I didn't want to smile, went to a beauty salon when I wanted to stay home, went out jogging when my knees hurt, worked at a job I detested, and now it's time to forget all that and let it all hang out-- which it is all too willing to do.

Old age has had some surprises for me. When I was younger, I would have assumed that come 64, my own years of caring about being a sexy woman would have been long behind me (and it might be for some women but it's not for me). I figured it would be time to sit with grandkids on my lap and enjoy the fruits of those earlier years. It was the example I had seen in the elder women in my family, and they didn't seem unhappy about it. Back then it was okay to be old.

Today, our culture fights that and seems to have made it a challenge to deny all visual signs of aging as though they have let down everyone around them. There are the ads for hair dye, products to keep the skin young forever, vitamins to roll back the clock, other products to lose that weight, and even sexual performance products (which lately seem to me to show older men with younger women). Potions and lotions promise to stop all wrinkling and sagging-- and if they don't work, surgery comes next. Take this vitamin. No, take that one. You can be young forever-- and if you don't, we don't want to look at you. They praise you if you look younger or for running a marathon or skydiving at 84 as though it reassures them about something. What could that be? I think it's the fear of their own vulnerability. We all age. Whether we are now 40 or just starting out as a baby, the road is ahead and maybe a lot are afraid to see it.

As it stands, there is no fountain of youth; and for the world, it's a darned good thing. None of those things from surgery to cosmetics can stop aging. Face lifts don't fool the body or other people. Worse in terms of looking younger, something about face lifts simply doesn't work. Perhaps it is removing all of the visual signs of a lifetime.

Denying aging, or trying to, denies us the opportunity to use these last years wisely. By the time we are old, we should (if we ever will) truly know ourselves. We finally should be to the place where, if we have not done it earlier, we stop denying who we are just to get along. The ideal as an elder is to live openly, honestly, and hopefully with wisdom gained through years of experiences. More important than whether we try to fool others is that we not fool ourselves with who we are as a person.

I believe one of the important tasks of old age is to fully develop our spiritual life-- if we haven't done it before. These are the years of preparing to move from the physical to the spiritual realm. For me that doesn't mean a religion but if it does, well do what works.

In my experience, spiritual depth comes through solitary time with Spirit. Community is good but not if it is filled with activities that deny going within ourselves, that denies us a personal connection with the other side-- which I believe can happen. That kind of work takes time. Old age helps us slow down to give us that time-- if we take it.

Old age is not sitting and waiting for death to take us. It's living fully but living where we are, not denying our own reality. It can be doing what we have yet not finished, exploring the things we didn't do earlier but wished we had; but the main task of old age-- in my opinion, is to find peace spiritually with what happens to us when our body wears out as it is going to do sooner than later for elders. Then when we meet death, we won't be afraid of what is coming.

These photos are recent and all me, even though with the lighting changes, some seem like they should be my grandmother. I look like them all. I have noticed this also in my older friends.When we get to a certain age, we can look so different depending on so many things.

Most were taken this last week-end but a few are from last month. They are a mix of how I see and feel about the physical me right now (and how you would see me if we met) from soft, protected lighting to harsh sunlight or flash. Some are the kind I'd normally discard but they seemed apropos for this topic because put together they are what 64 looks like. It's not ancient but it's not young either.

For now, sometimes I can still mostly pull it together for fun or when I need to do so. When I do, I think of that song by the Eagles-- Take it to the Limit One More Time. I can suck it in, put on the heels (chosen for comfort but then I stopped wearing uncomfortable shoes many years ago), and with the right lighting my hair doesn't look silver in front and I look much as I had for a lot of years. I can do it one more time, but not forever nor can I do it all the time. I find myself wanting to do it less and less.

The photo on the top was taken along the creek here in August. It's the one I call a goddess picture because of how the water formed that perfect circle around the figure with the staff. It was an effect I had not realized was happening at the time. It's a good reminder to me, to all of us women of a certain age-- goddesses are not girls!

(All photos can be enlarged but you do so at your own risk! )

13 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
You are looking great just like I thought you would. Even when you were in your twenties,I always envied your bones because I used to imagine how magnificent you would look with wrinkles covering them.

Taradharma said...

Rain, Spiritual Growth and Care in the Fourth Age of Life by Mackinlay looks like a good book. I've seen it on Amazon and thought, hmmm, I should ck it out at the library.

I love coming into my own as I age -- each year brings more confidence and less fear of what others think. Yay!

Unknown said...

Loved your reflections on aging and the photos of you in different clothing, moods and places. The trip I just returned from was a real physical stretch for me so I'm glad I did it now while I could. You are a beautiful woman, Rain, inside and out.

Anonymous said...

Beauty at any age is still beauty and you are a beauty Rain !!!

Anonymous said...

Beauty at any age is still beauty and you are a beauty Rain !!!

Anonymous said...

Very, very, interesting post. And based on Ronni Barrett's recent entries and my own of last week, yours is quite timely.
I've always felt all of us age differently....both physically, emotionally and mentally. I, for one, still do not ever refer to myself as "old"....it's not vanity or denial. It's simply that I truly do not "feel" old in any way. I'm in excellent health, very active, very involved, etc. I have also had many patients over the years who in their late 80's still stated to me they didn't "feel" old and I can understand that. They weren't denying the AGING process, they simply felt vibrant and young.
So I believe for each of us that aging is a very different process.
Love all your photos, by the way, especially the one with your hair pulled up and back....had never seen it like that and it's very becoming and shows off those high (Indian) cheekbones of yours.

Dick said...

An interesting post. I am a month older than you but do think that "old" is either a comparison or a state of mind. Compared to my Grandkids I am old but that's not true when I am compared to a mature Redwood tree. I don't want to become old if that means giving up on living. Getting older is a fact of life and the only real alternative isn't very good.

Rain Trueax said...

I appreciate all of the comments here. I feel when it's a topic like this, the comments add so much to the topic.

For me, I have never minded the word old because it has no bad connotations. I realize it does for others. If I was not old at 64, when would old start? Is early 60s then to still be called middle-aged?

I think words should have meaning. For me, young is up until about 25 or 26... (although I often call my kids young who are now in their late 30s and early 40s). Then I think we enter middle age which in my mind extends through someone's 50s and at some point has to be changed to old.

I will have to sign up for medicare next year, which amazes me, but there it is. If medicare is for the old, then does that mean at 65, I'd be officially old? I could have already been on Social Security but have not signed up for it because my husband still makes too much money to make it smart.

Since I have not seen old as a bad word, I am fine with calling myself old or even better a crone, which I know horrifies some even more than old. My husband started a business website, which he later dropped but he named it geezers signifying that it's men of a certain age who know how to get things done.

I have never seen the word old as meaning stuck in a rut, caught in the past, decrepit, weak, nor needing help. I have never seen it as a time when life was over. My husband's parents took a trip to Hawaii in their late 80s.

For me old has just been an age point where things do change faster than ever before (based on my experience and most of those who are also in their 60s), and I believe I reached it at 60 even though I have people tell me I can't be that old-- based on what I look like. But since my daughter still occasionally gets carded to buy liquor at 41, she can't be middle aged either, right? *s*

If I saw the word old as bad, I guess I'd object to calling myself old. It's too bad it has had such negative connotations as in other cultures, old is someone to go for wisdom, someone to respect. I don't think it's so here (even to those who are old) unfortunately.

In the end, what we call ourselves won't determine how others see us anyway. My main point here is to benefit from what this age can offer and use it as a time to spiritually come into power. Women are not allowed into many spiritual leadership positions until after menopause-- not to say that makes them old either but it just says that there are things this age can offer that earlier ones cannot.

Mary Lou said...

I am only 61 but somedays I feel like I am ninety! I always worked like a horse, and my managers would say that I would pay for it in my older years. Well, they were right. As far as looks go, I am terribly overweight, but I dont have wrinkles!! :) the hair is gray, and when I wake up and look in the mirror after a bad night's sleep, I look like my Mother! That is scary, but for the most part, I LIKE how I look, I just wish I could MOVE easier. Swimming feels soooo good, until I stop!

Anonymous said...

In my experience, spiritual depth comes through solitary time with Spirit. Community is good but not if it is filled with activities that deny going within ourselves, that denies us a personal connection with the other side-- which I believe can happen.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, wish look audacious for the duration of more cognate articles in a jiffy as its one of my pick question to read.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory