Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, November 25, 2007

Spider Moon

Life is about cycles and spirals. We repeat patterns again and again and much of the time oblivious to what is happening. Television schedules most people know but what's outside-- less aware. Moon cycles are a good example. Sometimes people look up and think ah pretty moon or full again already? but using those cycles for practical living is more rare in a so-called civilized culture.

This full moon led to a discussion over Thanksgiving about full moons. I mentioned they are named but the names don't seem right for them given our modern world-- for instance the November full moon is called the Beaver Moon which might have made sense for trappers or those who needed to be aware of pelts for some reason but sure doesn't mean anything to how I live. Beaver live here year round and nobody harvests them for anything except an occasional lucky predator.

So my daughter said this is the Spider Moon and that rang true. In the Northern Hemisphere, November is the month when the bugs move indoors, where on the wall will suddenly be a big brown spider that has newly occupied its space and I have to decide if it looks safe to let it remain or it has to come to an abrupt end of its lifespan.

I also see a few ladybugs inside right now where I guess they lay their eggs in some secret place to reappear in the spring. There used to be thousands of them that would come from all around to use our attic when we had a cedar shake roof, before it needed reroofing and we decided, due to forest fire risks, it had to be redone in something more fire safe but less desirable for bugs that loved those open spaces between the shakes.

Bug moon though wouldn't cut it for a name-- besides when you look at the full moon and see those radiating rays out from the crater at the bottom, (Tycho Crater, doesn't it look a bit like a spider web?

I think, where most people live in a world that seems to be remote from nature, it's up to us to establish or re-establish our connection to it. The earth is basic to life, and our thinking concrete is the same thing won't make it so. Connecting to basic cycles, being aware what is around us, all of it might someday be a skill we should have taught our children and make sure we are aware of ourselves.

When the tsunami hit a few years ago in Indonesia and Thailand, even many of those people, who did live near to the earth, had forgotten the stories of what a receding sea meant. The fact that something has not happened for awhile does not mean it won't. Being aware, sensitive to our surroundings, training ourselves to listen to our inner voice might be necessary skills again. Even now, they add to the enjoyment of life.

So Spider Moon is now my name for the November full moon. It might be a different name where you live. Naming each full moon with words that have meaning for nature nearby is good and if someone hasn't been paying attention to nature, it's a good place to start.

6 comments:

Dick said...

Civilized man no longer needs to track time by either sun or moon cycles. In fact, I'll bet it won't be too long before people will have a hard time understanding such terms as "clockwise" and "counter clockwise." Everything seems to be going digital for good reasons but it does seem a shame to loose things that seemed so basic to me while I was growing up.

I wonder what a resurrected cave man or even someone from as recent a time as that of Jesus, would think of our civilization today?

robin andrea said...

That disconnect from knowing the moon is the same for our disconnect knowing the earth. The intimacy of the seasons are as lost to us as the phases of the moon. The cost to the earth in our ignorance will probably be much bigger than we ever expected.

When the moon rose the other night, I thought of you.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I am extremely aware of moon cycles and was blown away last night driving in my car and seeing the huge orange moon rising. The smoke was in the atmosphere from the Malibu fire. I haven't really studied what the names of the seasonal moons are, but I know the Farmers Almanac, as I recall, was based on moon cycles, wasn't it? I like your daughter's Spider Moon name. I have seen a lot of indoor spiders lately and my daughter is reporting out of the control ants.

joared said...

I think your naming idea about moon cycles is excellent and would like to see it more widely used. Certainly makes sense to me. There is a very tiny white lacey winged moth that periodically invades my home. Next few times that occurs, I'm going to check to see if there is a consistency in the moon's cycle for a Moth Moon -- maybe it's their breeding time.

Mary Lou said...

I dont even give the spiders a chance, I see one, I WHACK it. (shudder) Yeah I know, bad kharma!

Ingineer66 said...

You are correct Dick. I had to explain "Clockwise" to one of my sons friends the other day. As soon as I did he understood, but he was not familiar with the term. Luckily I do have one old fashioned clock on the wall in my house.