Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, November 15, 2007

Community-- on this side and that

The beliefs of what comes after death run the gamut from nothing, to being reborn, to a heavenly throne or fiery hell, to lavish rewards of virgins or crowns, to being a god on your own planet, and on and on. Some fear dying. Some can hardly wait to get to the other side. Some know exactly what will happen. Some, even as they reach old age, don't want to think about it.

There are those who say it does not matter what we believe-- what is is. And that could well be true. On the other hand, what we expect might impact what we find there.

There is a good film starring Robin Williams on this subject. If you have not seen it and like exploring questions of what life after death might be like, it's called What Dreams May Come. It takes a rather New Age perspective that, as we often do here, we create our heaven or hell-- except the potential is much greater there as it's all energy without the flesh as a limitation. It also showed who helped William's character accept his own sudden death-- someone from the other side.

This is not a review of that film nor about what I personally believe is on the other side, but rather about that transitioning. I want to share a few stories from my family. Most families have them.

First one involves my grandmother's stepbrother. In the flu pandemic of 1918, as a strong young man (who you'd think would be the least likely to die, but statistically in that flu was in the group most likely), he died. Through his illness, Grandma was at his bedside, caring for him, as well as her three little daughters who also had that flu.

As he lay dying, he told her all of the ones he could see from their family. Fanny, can't you see them? He was seeing a community who had come for him and he named who was there.

When my mother died, she was at the other end of life-- 85 and living in a mobile home on this farm. She just had the flu or so we thought. That morning she wasn't up and about. My husband broke open her door and found she had died in her sleep. When I went in, I didn't look at Mom's face. I knew her personality, didn't feel she would like me to see her that way, plus didn't want it to be my last memory of her; but I looked at her body which was in the bed, covered with the blankets except her hand. Her hand was stretched upward. I have always wondered but will never know. Was she reaching out for my father, for her sister who had already died, perhaps her own mother and father? Had they come for her?

Finally there is a dream that my husband had a couple of years ago. He dreamed he was coming, in the spirit, to help our daughter cross over. She was an old woman lying in a bed in a house he said he had never seen before. He said I had already come to be there and told him when he arrived-- don't say anything. She knows we are here. He said he looked at the side of her bed and at first thought it was her daughter sitting there, then realized it was her granddaughter and the older woman with her was her daughter.

That dream was a beautiful example of the community that we benefit from having, on both sides, to make our own transition from this life to whatever awaits. Not everyone has children but everyone can have life-long friends, who are committed to being there for each other. If we keep ourselves open to the spiritual side, to the guides or angels who are helping us in this life, if we have developed caring relationships, someone will be on the other side also to help us cross over-- as I believe we do.

4 comments:

robin andrea said...

When my grandmother was dying, two of her daughters (my aunts) were in the room with her. She had been close to death for many days and mostly unconscious. My aunt recalls that just moments before her death, my grandmother smiled and said "mother" like she was seeing her own mother. I've always thought that even if it were not angels, but our own minds conjuring the spirits of our loved ones as we make the transition, it is still a comforting way to make our exits.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't know what there is---if anything, after we die. I know that I would like to believe there is something, but, it is not a strong belief because I just don't know, at all. Having just written a tiny bit about the primal experience, I know there are things deep in us that help us get through this life. And one of them is---for many people--that there is something more or better waiting for them, "on the other side", and that is a very comforting thing...As I said, I do not know about any of it. I only know about here and now and trying to live this life. In my little 'child' fantasy I would like to think that all those who I loved and have gone before are waiting someplace for me to welcome me..That is kind of a comfort to me in a fantasy way....But who knows?

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely getting the movie, so thanks for telling us about it.
I had a similar experience with my dad when he was passing over. That convinced me even more that we are not "gone" once our bodies leave this earth.
Great post, Rain and very thought provoking. And for me, very timely...as if to convince me even more. I felt my dad SO strongly during Richard Paul Evans keynote address Sat. night at my conference. ALmost like my dad was standing in back of me....and within the hour, my name was announced as First Place for the award. I say it's not coincidence.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I have a few goose bumps. I know my mother saw herself with many people who were not physically present as she was dying. She was an extrovert. She knew what was going on though she had severe dementia. She didn't say she recognized the people she saw.
I found my father after he was dead long enough to become regid. He died in his sleep perfectly relaxed and looked self-satisfied. He enjoyed being by himself in solitude.