Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, February 03, 2021

by Diane: Can't praise my hired handyman enough: my widow's bucket list grows

 by Diane


   Since 2018  when household renovations caused Fisherman Hubby's more and more frustration, as his ALS disease progressed, he tried so very, very hard.  He tried to show he was capable of keeping up with the household maintenance. We seldom hired out help. When we first lived in the house, he poured cement in what was part of a horse's stall in the she shop studio. About 30 years ago we hired a professional to pour a concrete slab under the patio cover. When he would have done the roofing like he did in his younger days, three years ago we hired professional roofers for both the house and the shop.  His yearly upgrades and maintenance projects became smaller.  He would quit before putting tools away and say proudly, "Look what I have done, and I wonder why I am so tired." I quit making To Do Lists.   What could I say when he was firm about no house changes instead we were both proud and happy we could help our children and grandchildren especially so they could get a good education.

      I could not argue when Fisherman Hubby denied that many parts of our property were running down. I believe he knew way before the diagnose that he wouldn't make it much longer. 

        Now I thank Fisherman Hubby for not making great changes to make the house suitable for an invalid who still required one of his boats plus most of his fishing gear, and tools. Now I am spreading myself into what was his sacred spaces.  For decades I took on very willingly the discipline of containment.  I kept my best work, recycling, or repurposing unfinished work, or retiring it to the burn pile. He gave me much space but limited space for me on both the walls of our home and in the storage units he built. The limit helped me to make a stronger body of work.

        Now I can't imagine how we managed to have room enough with two different space usage requirements. I marvel at how quickly my art materials occupy his space. Thanks to my daughters and grandchildren's support plus I am also blessed with a handyman of 35 years experience, David Torres from Eugene. Says he tears out the old as swiftly as a Tasmanian Devil. And this month I will have a  workable studio building separate from the house. A place to do oil painting maybe not just in the summer but all year round.

        About three years ago at one of my high school class reunions, I was asked what was on my bucket list. I remember being  blank. I didn't have a bucket list of my own.  I  truly wanted to do whatever Fisherman Hubby's wishes were. And he wanted to do travel that would make me happy. In 20018 he took on too much for me and fainted from dehydration the night after he was trying to fish over three hours standing out on black lava and I was painting in the shade with the Painting Out There Kona Hawaii Plein Air Painters.

         My bucket list of travel includes going back to Hawaii with my granddaughter McKenzie and Enrique who also like to paint and cook. Another trip to visit a great granddaughter and a visit to Rain. I want to visit family where ever they live.  Another bucket list includes meeting every need in my home so I can age gracefully in place. 

        The advise for grieving widows is to wait a year before making definite life changing plans. But I have a handyman who can remodel my bathroom to be safer now and eventually accommodate a wheel chair. The kitchen can be made safer by demolishing the kitchen sink addition returning to the original wall of the building.  Such happy marvelous decisions so close at hand leaves me with asking is this real.  I like where I am at.


6 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

When we get past this pandemic, I very much look forward to having you visit Tucson. Right now, we are a hot spot but hopefully that will change with better treatments and a vaccine that works. I know it will change as I am a glass half full kind of old lady, but this has been a hard year for positive thinking :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

It does look like for elders getting the Covid vaccination in Oregon is delayed. Good thoughts on you getting it are much better in Arizona. May have to delay trips not only to Arizona but also Hawaii.

Rain Trueax said...

They had been telling us it would be June and then suddenly new opportunities arose. Keep your eye on the newspapers for any new venues for it. That's what this one is. Of course, we haven't gotten it yet ;)

Rain Trueax said...

Well, we got it. No idea if there will be side effects until maybe tomorrow but so far;so good. We got it in the truck as this was set up for stay in your vehicle. They did a good job with keeping it moving with lots of young people to make it work. A month before the next one in the same place and time-- assuming they have the vaccine :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Good for you getting vaccinated. I am delinquent. In the mail today I got notice that I am to go to Reser Stadium as far back as January 25 in Corvallis not Albany Linn County Faire grounds as I had thought.
Today marks Fisherman Hubby's anniversary of his Birthday. His Grandson from Salem and girl friend came and pruned the fruit trees. Grandson took metal to the recyclers and stuff for Habitat for Humanity.
In memory and in looking forward, I am making dessert topped with a candle. Unlike his lemon meringue pie mine is suited to my personal needs. Lemon meringue tart made with eggs, lemon rind, honey and oatmeal and butter crust. No gluten and no refined sugar.

Rain Trueax said...

Some people wait 3 hours and have to stand the whole time in a line. I liked the ability to sit in the truck. So far so good on no reaction. Could still happen though.

Nice on the kids helping you :)