Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, February 18, 2021

by Diane: As a widow I see my poor past attempted activism; Planning redemption

 In 1985 our newly purchased home came with this barn that was transformed into a garage, then a shop and now a painting studio. 
      I do not remember the grass as being so tall; maybe the photo just does not reveal the thistles.  In order to make this property look cared for we used poison.  It might be crazy to think I can keep the weeds controlled without poison. Actually I like the grass and weeds but because of fire danger and living in the city the weeds must be cut to the ground before summer fire danger. 
     My future redemption will be making myself an example that I want others to be as well.  All my life I was politically challenged and too easily discouraged. Like in the early 60's my family was being watched by the CI A and two agents came and threatened deportation of my father. Probably because he had an unauthorized Swiss passport when he entered the USA in 1929 as a student.  Or probably because of his being born in Siberia and had Asian residency where  one of his family members was politically active and seen as criminal by the US government. My level of fear was too high to  publicly object to the Vietnam War.

     Later again I was not courageous. In the late 60's just a little over a block away the city was about to approve a railroad running right next to my children's elementary school playground.  A Bellingham, Washington citizen group formed to oppose it and my job was to phone membership to remind them of their meetings.  I spaced out once and forgot to call. Immediately I was dropped from the membership.  I could have still attended their meetings.

    At present as a widow I think I am stronger and it remains to be seen how activism will be reflected in my art. I have already decided as a good citizen, I will do my part. I have signed up for a vaccination.  I'll try to be an example of what I would like to see others do simply by being a good steward to the environment on my own property. Stop using pesticides, and herbicides. With the size lot I have, that will be challenging. I see an electric lawn mower in my future. Change my energy usage!   By implementing afternoon breezes, I will direct cooling  air flow through the house and try to eliminate air conditioner use. Better screen doors and window coverings!

3 comments:

Tabor said...

It is always trial and error and compromise. You have your heart in the right place for certain.

thelma said...

I love the way you are turning yourself around. Positivism rules.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you Tabor and Thelma!!