Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 29, 2019

What went right and wrong

by Rain Trueax



This is supposed to be about why my contemporary books haven't done well. It will be but first-- Happy Birthday to Ranch Boss, my life partner, and something that went right in my life. Today, he is the main reason any of my books sell as he does most of the marketing for them ;). He has learned probably more than he ever wanted to know about how to do ads and target words. I am very grateful for that but even more that we are life partners. It's been a good ride together going from virtually kids to a couple who will have their 55th anniversary in September-- god willing and the creek don't rise. I won't say it's all been smooth going but through it all, we have remained best friends-- most days ;).

I have some advice for anyone contemplating a divorce. Give it some time-- unless its about physical abuse and then get out fast.  Try to determine what has gone wrong. If your partner wants a divorce, ask them what are the reasons. Communication is a big deal in any relationship. Sometimes through talking things can be worked out. Not always. I'd hate though to leave any relationship without knowing why it was broken. I did that only once-- in high school when a friend just stopped talking to me. Never again. Ask what's up and try to decide if the reasons matter enough or can counseling or time fix what went wrong.



So the question I began with, I am back to-- in particular what might it be about my contemporary romances that has led to them not finding the readers my historicals found.  Most especially, when they went into Kindle Unlimited for borrowing, why did they not find readers even there? *big tear drops-- okay I don't really cry over books not selling but you get the point* What is it about them that doesn't click with readers?


It's tough to look at books that I've written and try to find something in them just isn't good enough. I naturally love them all; and if I didn't think they were good enough, they'd not be out there. But I may not be the typical reader of romances, which makes me not the best judge of my own work. 

For one thing, I don't like flowery phrases in romances. When I come across them, especially in some of the romances I bought years ago, I laugh instead of feeling all warm and gooey. I personally choose to read novels that have romance in them but not just romance. 

An example of what I mean is I enjoy reading about a heroine gardening. Some of my favorite books by others have those kind of scenes in them. For my own writing, I tend to enjoy finding what my characters might like to do. Although picking a life mate is important, it's not all women or men do even when courting. When dating Ranch Boss, he wasn't all that was on my mind-- but then that's real life. 

The problem with what I just wrote is romances aren't exactly real life. Maybe romance readers want more of the other then I offer. What is it in a book that inspires a reader to want to write a review. I suspect it's either loving or hating something. Maybe those flowery phrases lead to more loving a book and wanting to share that love with others.

One other issues could be length of book. These are not novellas. They are novel length. If you write in a genre where that is not the preferred length-- is that an issue?... Maybe.

Sex in a book could be an issue as some, want none and some, want pages of it. I don't satisfy either. I consider sex part of a relationship but not as the main thing. Although most of my full-length books have sex in them, it's not extensive and certainly not graphic. Hence I lose the sweet readers and the erotic ones. Surely, there have to be readers who like some but not too much... I hope. 

Another possible missing element is something I was told years back by an editor when I did submit another book. She said my heroine didn't have enough angst. Life was too easy for her or something to that effect. I had to interpret that to think they wanted a woman who needed rescuing in some way for their contemporary romance line. Since I didn't even like to read that kind of book, no way was I writing one. 

Is that true for readers today, what 'that' editor wanted? I have read a lot of romance blurbs or ads on BookBub and notice it's common for heroines to be on the run from something when they meet the hero. I more often have villains out to get the hero. Maybe, the heroine in distress is more what is desired. 

Another personal quirk of mine is I can't stand reading or writing about women who it is  "feisty" and must be tamed. Still, I see that a lot in blurbs. There are some things a writer can't fix, even if it's popular if it goes against their life philosophy. There are things I'll never put in a book, and one is to have characters who are victims. They might be attacked, but they are never victims. Maybe.... I am missing the romance genre boat where it comes to that. 

Even though I do put in ideas about how people can fix their lives, I have worked to keep my romances from turning into self-help books. Maybe there is a little too much of that anyway. Perhaps, the problem is they are more about the relationships than the romance? I have tried to use the ideas in ways that naturally come to the characters as they sort through their relationship problems. My characters grow and develop as they make mistakes and learn from them-- just like us. 
 
Actually, all I am doing here is guessing at this as these contemporaries have hardly had any reviews-- back to what I said earlier. They aren't inspiring that desire to become part of the work ... by adding the review.

If you don't do reviews, consider seriously changing that for any book you read. They help a writer know when they are missing the proverbial boat as well as when they did something right. While they are intended for the next readers (some writers don't even read their own as they can be brutal), they can be good for writers to encourage or maybe reconsider some element. Reviews connect the reader to the writer.

After I started writing these blogs, I looked at the contemporary covers more critically. Nobody is going to even get to what is wrong with a book if the cover or title turn them off. I had men on most with couples on two. I decided that since all but two of the books begin with the heroine's point of view, I'd make the covers about the women. I felt the covers of a hot guy without a shirt didn't depict my stories (even if they do have hot guys in them). 

So, I went looking for pretty women who looked like my heroines. I wanted them to feel real-- not fantasy. Now, that might still turn off romance readers, since many of the popular ones do seem to have what looks like Barbie dolls on their covers. The thing is I am trying to find Romance with an Edge readers who like something a little different, books that feel like real life but with suspense -- more adventure in the heroine's lives than they would have wanted. 

The poster at the bottom has all of my contemporary stories. Four of them don't fit into the Romance with an Edge theme because although they might have danger, it's the natural sort, not the suspense, mystery sort. I call them Starting Over. 

Then six (seventh to come later in July) have a fantasy/paranormal edge to them with no real series title for them even though some of them fit into that. Because getting books to the right target audience, I have thought of calling those contemporaries with a fantasy element as they are more contemporary than what a paranormal reader expects. Yes, they might be witches, but they have real lives with some special skills... I'd like to come up with a theme title for them but so far... nothing. 

Those last two paragraphs represent a problem with getting my books seen by readers who like romance and novels together. Mine don't fit in genre boxes. My historicals do a better job with that. Without genre boxes, how does a reader find books? Searches involve boxes (keywords). As of today, I don't have answers for that, but what I do have is more to say on marketing itself. That is coming next as this turned into three parts because I've done a lot of thinking on not just the writing, but the marketing, which involves not only books but anything someone wants to sell.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Links with more info on the books through the blurbs and sample first chapter:









Her Dark Angel -- https://www.amazon.com/Her-Dark-Angel-Portland-Book-ebook/dp/B007TRSGU8

 All of my contemporaries on one poster

7 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

I'm right there with you, Rain. I have no idea why my last book tanked. What didn't I do? Or, what did I do wrong? One of my author friends said writing and publishing are a crapshoot. I tend to agree. At my level, I never know what will or won't work.

Rain Trueax said...

Boy, that's for sure. And when we bring out a book, we think it's good or we'd not do it. Of the writer friends I've made, like you, I know they are always bringing out what they love.

I am working now on the fifth in the paranormal series, which has had very few buyers for the other four but just gotta write this one anyway as it's about finishing what I start and besides, I like the characters. But then, I always do lol

Brig said...

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! You are blessed.


As for the books not selling as well as you would wish... I have friends that write non fiction and their books seem to do well. One thing about them is they have built huge networks of friends via their blogs and they have posted portions of their books on the blogs and social media (FB). Some have asked their readers to proof read a chapter or so, it gets the book out there and involves the readers. Not in your face push but, more like here's the latest chapter what do you think?

Rain Trueax said...

I use beta readers and get some of that benefit-- although all of these books were written before I had the books out there anywhere.

If I had a blog of those who like to read romances, it might help. I've had a few here who try romances just because I write them but don't think I originally had any romance readers or writers although I do hve some now that I bring over from FB :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Happy Birthday to Farm Boss! He has been the best in supporting your writing and is a great friend to have too.
As for the contemporary novels not finding the right audience, I have always thought you underestimated yourself trying to market your work in a genera. I have read fine literature with interesting love stories featuring character development and hot issues.
But coming from a ranching background, you may have underestimated the breath of literature thinking it off limits if your pride is being down to earth and not being elitus.

Rain Trueax said...

I wasn't the one who determines where it belongs. It's trying to find where it will get the best chance to be seen and women's literature is a wide field. Also some women disdain romance in a book and would be angry if they bought it. Figuring out target audiences is one of the problems.

You have long said my books are novels and literature. I agree. Marketing though is a whole other problem.

I want to add that I have long appreciated that you stepped out of your usual reading zone to give my books a try and have supported them all along. That's what's so great about our long friendship that I support your great gift in painting and you encouraged my writing. One thing neither of us are good at though (or even like)-- marketing lol

Rain Trueax said...

I should add that when you didn't like a book as much, you openly told me and I have done the same with your paintings. That's what's made it a creative friendship.