Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Took over 20 years to paint "Owyhee Spring"


The Owyhee Spring is where we tied up our rafts to refill our water jugs. Originally I painted the ferns and moss like a poor photo I took of the spring. The photo has since become unimportant.Then around 1998 I painted the dry desert in the upper right over some of the vegetation and exhibited it. I thought it was done. Luckily it did not sell.
Then almost every year since I have made some changes especially to the way the water was falling. For awhile I would be happy each year. Then I would observe both the way acrylic paint goes on the canvas and observed more closely water falling into rivers on many boat rides since in other Oregon rivers. Painting this picture enhanced my enjoyment of nature.
Owyhee is a good example of why I am so sure that the directive myth of  quiting before overworking a painting is wrong for my art practice and development. I certainly lost the story of my surprise of this oasis in contrast to the desert but I have become more focused in observing water.

5 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

i like that photo of that painting a LOT. I should hang it here to protect it from being changed again lol

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

😆 I would love to see how it looks in your home.

Rain Trueax said...

what's your price for it? I could see it here and it'd look great with the black rock one. Similar feel but one is desert and dry while the other is lush with life and water.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain, would you like a trade for meat but of course we will pay for butchering and packaging.

Rain Trueax said...

We could do that, work out the right amount it'd take to be fair. I am not sure when he'll be doing the meat though.