Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Painting Myth #2: I make mud continuing to paint after the surface is covered.

 I was happy, for a short while, with the directness and freshness. This would be a fine painting as is.  But early on I started to lean towards greater representation.
 Earlier I  posted about this imperfect painting with some parts more realistic than other parts. Then I stated making thumbnail sketches for ideas for other paintings.


As well as starting a new painting, I worked on an empty boat in the foreground. Then Elenore took her boat out to go fishing: I was enchanted as I have always been by Elenore.  So without staging the whole painting for her, I quickly added her.
 
At home I started out to minimize the boat into an unrecognizable shape. I didn’t have a palette knife so I used an eating utensil - a knife with a serrated edge. But for a happy accident, I was about to remove the boat and Elenore. Now she is a little more recognizable from a distance and in keeping with the way I abstracted the trees in the background.

I thought I would do a portrait of Elenor.  I will do a portrait of Elenore and her boat but not now. I continued to bring the eye to Elenor and at the same time created a movement away into the background.

When I continue painting even after the paint covers the canvas pleasingly, many things happen. Sure the colors can become more neutral but mud has more to do with indecision of the movement of your tool where the staccato is missing. When I continue to paint, I am apt to have a learning experience; Serendipity enriches me.

4 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

I love the background, some of your best work, but don't care at all for the figure or whatever it is supposed to be in front. It's confusing, not clear and distracts from the energy of the rest. just my opinion

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you for your opinion Rain Trueax. Please do not down grade your opinion. I value it. Unfortunately I have not painted a sequel. The developing painting is still unfinished.

Rain Trueax said...

I don't down value my opinion but just see art is subjective and what one person sees is confusing, another might see as the high point.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

In this case adding a boat and later a figure, changes the way the painting is seen and puts the painter in the difficulty of properly staging the additions. I have worked on the painting more since my original post and shortly I will update my progress on this painting.