Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Tropical waters inspired abstracts in process





Coral reef colors first, then water movement followed by pattern and texture are the inspiring memories I brought home and were foremost in my mind.  As I started to paint, I took into account the materials I had to express my delight.  Watercolor was my painting medium of choice to express the beauty of light in the pristine waters of the reef that I saw snorkeling at Turneffe Flats Atoll.

First came the juicy somewhat rectangular colors. Then I added pencil and crayon drawings of repetitive patterns. During this process I marveled at the juxtaposition of randomness and structured organized life in the reef. Painting extended the joys of the vacation.

I saw two compositions  as my painting /collage evolved. So I turned the board and cut it in half.  I wasted only a small piece of board so my pictures would fit in the frame.  The lavender fan being a collage piece could be moved around until I found a sweet spot.


Collage of my handmade papers and purchased paper
 over watercolor
Watercolor, mixed media and collage


I love underwater photographs of the reef but I also like the emotional involvement of abstracting from my memories because these paintings express my internal reality.  These collages remind me of small details I focused on while snorkeling. Also the feeling of water movement gently swaying me this way and that.  Some tall sponges and corals reminded me of  human anatomy like our fingers. In previous landscapes I found the shapes of the hand and fingers like in the basalt columns of Coyote Rock, on the Siletz River in Oregon.


4 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

those last two especially have an underwater and tropical colors look. :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you, Rain, I am continuing to try different papers and finishes to make it easier to move the color around or pick it up. These are techniques to make the painting have the essence of fluid watery movement.

Tabor said...

These are certainly intriguing and interesting and do capture the coral reef which is a collage of beauty in the moving water!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Tabor,
Thank you for your comment. Yes, the different corals and criters do look like a collage. I am happy you see the reef as being like a collage.