Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Season of columbine and rhododendrons


When I write a blog ahead of time, sometimes it just does not work when its date comes along. That happened for today's blog. After the Manchester terrorist attack, I am postponing the entry I'd planned 'til maybe early next month. It felt all wrong, with my heart aching for the ones killed, those hurt, and all of us, since this kind of senseless tragedy keeps happening. 

Nature is the healer and so, here is what my garden looks like outside the living room windows. It is full of the columbine that come up each year, with new ones self-sowing and no idea what colors there will be. The combinations are wild and totally by happenstance. No photos to prove it, but the hummingbirds also love this season.

The rhododendrons are beyond the fenced garden and ones that came with the land when we bought it nearly 40 years ago. They have survived pruning by the sheep (who are not supposed to eat rhododendron leaves as they are poisonous-- evidently not for those who enjoy buffet dining). They'd make short work of the columbines too, but that's the yard fenced off for the birds-- cats don't get access either.












7 comments:

Annie said...

Wonderful flowers! Our Rhodos are not in bloom yet, a few weeks off.

Rain Trueax said...

We are later than the main valley where roses are already blooming.

Tabor said...

I have not had great success with rhodos, although I try. My Columbine are moving everywhere and abundant. If they take up too much room I just pull them up.

Rain Trueax said...

Plants have their own ideas on where they will flourish. I can't keep irises even though I love them. I think it's the oak trees.

Tara said...

these are beautiful! and healing. I, too, find sanctuary in the garden. such sadness prevails in our world, and sometimes all we can do is find the little ways to take care of ourselves. thank you for sharing the beauty.

Rain Trueax said...

I always appreciate how you share the beauty you find in your photos, Tara. I think it's what we need these days-- places to be positive and gardens are at the top of my list.

Brig said...

Your flowers are beautiful.
It is too hot and dry for rhodos to do well here, have to get over to the coast to see them.