Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, May 15, 2013

advertising or not...



As an experiment, I have tried word verification and moderation to reduce the number of spam that easily swamp my email box. Word verification works but inconveniences readers who have genuine comments. Moderation really doesn't work for me at all as a lot of the spammers are not just posting on the current one but way back-- and they still show up but I just keep them from posting.

So now, with my email box once again overloaded, I am going to try what someone commented worked-- no anonymous commenters. I really hate doing that but if it works, it will be what I stay with. Commenters can use OpenID, but I know some don't want to do that. I will miss comments; but if this works, I will not miss the multitudes of spammers that I think mess up our whole internet by their over usage that accomplishes nothing for anybody not even whoever they are paid to spam by. Whoever buys anything from their efforts? I doubt anybody but they must profit from doing it somehow and they have gotten very ingenious in what they say before they slip in their link.

Frustrating to have to do this because of an abuse of the system but that seems to be the story of modern life...


On a higher note, we were at the Albany Public Library (2450 14th Ave. S.E.) on Saturday to give Diane Widler Wenzel a hand with adjusting the height of some of her paintings there in her exhibit-- Making Memories. Well, we weren't helping so much as the tall Farm Boss who could reach what it would take a ladder for her to get up to.


Her exhibit is on the second floor and covers examples of her art from 1966 through 2013. It's an extensive exhibit going from one end of the second floor to the other and she put a lot of work into the meaning behind it. Diane created signs that explain some of her thinking in the creating; so check it out if you are in the Albany, Oregon area as it will be there through June.


9 comments:

Meryl Baer said...

I resorted to blocking anonymous commenters and it works. It may reduce the total number of comments, but spammers are gone.

Celia said...

Anonymous blocking seems to be working for me as well. Looks like a great showing of Diane Widler Wenzel works. Nice way to spend part of a day.

Tabor said...

I went to registered comments, but it does not catch all. I still get spam. I do not have a large popular blog,thus am more limited in spam. I let all comments through except after two weeks (I think) I moderate all incoming.

Rain Trueax said...

I get so many spams that go to links which could be traps; so I block them all. Spammers really do look like they read the blog these days-- until you get to the link which sometimes does not even go to what they typed.

Rain Trueax said...

So far my writing blog is getting very few but its numbers aren't consistent; so maybe that's why.

Anonymous said...

The exhibit looks so beautiful. I wish I lived closer so I could stop by and really see them. Lovely.

Ingineer66 said...

Did you have a post up last week showing Diane's paintings? I was looking at it on my iphone and I cannot comment from it because of the spam blocking word verification and by the time I used a real computer to post a comment the entire post was gone so I could not comment.

I wanted to comment on one of the paintings. Viewing it on my tiny iPhone screen it caught my eye that it looked like the state of Oregon. Then when I looked closer I realized there were two salmon in the middle of the painting. Anyway I thought it was a very neat painting.

Rain Trueax said...

I am not sure if I had that one up or she did, ingineer and now with the only blocking anonymous, you should be able to post from wherever if you are registered with that phone. Keeping out spam irks me as it keeps out what a person wants. I have one of her paintings of the salmon but she has another with oranges where mine is reds.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Ingineer, Thank you for your flattering comment on the Salmon spawning painting.