Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, April 09, 2012

A fox in the garden

Last week was a busy one for me, and the future is looking about the same; so for awhile posts here will be sporadic.

When a wild thing walks into my garden, I am always thrilled even when I know it's best for them to stay away and not trust humans too much. This time it is a small gray fox who I first saw in our little rock garden right outside the living room window. That time I started to walk to get the camera and it ran immediately.

A few days later the fox was back and this time I crawled to be below the window view. I guess I took over thirty photos of it enjoying the garden and sunshine. I was totally amazed that it would come so close to the house, but it's young. Twice more we've seen it, once hunting near the bird feeder and then Saturday evening jumping up on our rock bench.

The last time although I'd have enjoyed a photo, I felt more concern that Blackie (one of our cats) was outside. I thought maybe the fox would be aggressive. Instead it was the other way around, and to my shock Blackie took out after it!  Fortunately Blackie stopped at the fence while the fox sat out in the orchard for a bit as though trying to understand why our place had turned so unfriendly. Actually it was also chased across the pasture one day by the cows.

It's adorable but I don't want to encourage wild things to come in close to the house, not with small lambs and my cats outside off and on. Also it's healthier for the fox to learn people aren't safe. It's hard though to do that as it is really adorable. When I see something like that, I worry it's not getting enough food and needs help. That is plain foolish as to put out food for it would not be healthy for the wild thing or our place.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics! I have never seen a fox in person, so this was quite a treat.

Celia said...

What an adorable face that critter has, great pictures. I agree about keeping them in the wild but what fun to see one so close.

Rain Trueax said...

It felt as though nature had walked into my garden,the coming together, for a few moments, of the wild and the tamed (if the land is ever really tamed).

ashok said...

wow..he's cute!

Anonymous said...

Great photos of your wildlife, Rain.
Cop Car

Kay Dennison said...

I really love these photos of your environment!

Hattie said...

I don't think I've ever seen a fox up close. Remarkable that it would venture in so close like that. Those are great shots.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My....he is a BEAUTY! So adorable...but, I know you are right about what you say....I can see though, the temptation to feed him would be great.....! WONDERFUL pictures!

Anonymous said...

These are such excellent photos! We hardly ever get to see foxes around here. So, it's especially wonderful to get such a good look at the one hanging out in your yard!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I am enchanted with your photos of the fox. What beautiful coloring it has. We actually see foxes occasionally in Palos Verdes and I've seen them walking on the runway at the Torrance Airport when I've been in my doctor's office that overlooks it. I'm surprised your cat chased it.

By the way, I could just picture you in a field of flowers painting plein air. Do you have a photo?