Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Harvest Moon

We don't try to photograph every full moon. I must admit some I barely notice other than to find it's quite bright at night if it's necessary to look out toward the barns and determine if a sheep is in trouble or just whining. Sometimes when I can't sleep well, I'll think is it a full moon and it will be. I do usually notice and particularly like three full moons, one of which is this one-- the Harvest Moon.

We went out with the tripod and telephoto and got some shots early on that showed the detail quite well. There was a lot of dust and some smoke in the air from the dryness and forest fires in the Cascades. It gave the moon a delicious yellow color which by playing around with settings we were able to capture with the camera requiring no color adjustment through editing.


It is one of those little pleasure in life to go out at night when the moon is rising just over the tops of the trees, when it's quiet with only the sound of crickets and sometimes a frog down by the creek or a disturbed deer that bounds out of the brush. I can watch the moon from the house windows, but it's not the same as being out there. Right now our nights aren't cool enough to require even a sweater at night. It's changing fast though.

11 comments:

Annie said...

I've been watching the full moon too. When I look at it I wonder how many other people are watching at the same time. I think of friends and family who might be looking up at the moon and somehow it makes them seem closer.

We are having some good moonwatching weather here also, clear but not too cold. What a lovely time of year!

Paul said...

The full moon has always fascinated me too...I can gaze at it for hours...It soothes me somehow...

Celia said...

Very nice pictures, our full moon has been yellow too from the smokes as well. The sun is blood red as it sets.

la peregrina said...

I've been watching it, too. It's funny but each month there is a moment when I first catch sight of the full moon I find myself stopping to stare at it in amazement. It's like I have forgotten how beautiful it really is since the last time I saw it.

Anonymous said...

Rain--Beautiful, beautiful shots, Rain!
A full moon is one of the few things that ever really scared me - although I think it was an eclipse that turned the moon red. At 3 years of age, I thought that the moon was bleeding to death. Oh, me!
Cop Car

Mary Lou said...

I was thinking that this full moon was a lot earlier than normal. It usually comes up over the Cascades Big and bright and ORANGE just at sunset, but this year it is up higher in the sky before it gets really dark! Hmmmm Im gonna have to think about this one. I really like October's moon too, If the clouds dont cover it up!

mandt said...

Is this the same as the 'wolf moon?'

Rain Trueax said...

The Wolf moon is January and one of my three favorite moons. This one can also be called the Corn moon. The Hunter moon, which is October, is my other favorite.

Taradharma said...

a beautiful moon...and you describe so well being out of doors to see it. Funny how, after watching it one's whole life, it still has the power to transfix.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular shots of the harvest moon, rain. Interestingly, we just started to have a bit of cloudy weather for the first time this summer. So, no harvest moon for us. Your photos are fantastic.

Darlene said...

Is there any other feature of nature that enraptures all people so intensely? Poems and songs are written to and about it. Lovers use it as their metaphor. The moon is adored the world over.

Some people have trouble sleeping during a full moon. Why is this?

Oh the wonder of it all.