Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, September 09, 2011

The Dilemma

Through Netflix, we took a chance on a Ron Howard film starring Vince Vaughn called The Dilemma. It's a comedy but one of those ensemble stories which also confronts a serious issue. If you know something detrimental about a friend, say that their partner is having an affair, do you tell them or not?

Not only does it explore friendship, what we owe to a friend; but also how well do we really know anybody. It's funny but more than funny, it's about a real issue that we all have to think about once in awhile if we have close friendships-- when do we interfere in their life? If we do interfere, are we helping or hurting?

I don't really know if the film got good reviews, but we enjoyed it for a slice of life kind of movie with, of course, larger than life comedy tweaks.

5 comments:

joared said...

Maybe I better watch this movie. Reminded me of a couple instances in my life that this dilemma emerged -- not for me, but othersI knew.

Anonymous said...

Rain--A few months ago, one of my blog friends (perhaps you?) posted on how we have multiple best friends, because it is unrealistic to expect one best friend to fulfill all of our needs. I agree. With each friend we must decide what role we will play in their life. For some of our friends, our job may be to love/support unconditionally while for others, our job may be to play devil's advocate. For still others....It can be a tough call!
Cop Car

mandt said...

This is a most difficult dilemma: to love someone and wondering whether to warn or tell them. So many times the friendship ends because the messenger is punished for the message.

Paul said...

A good comedy can relieve stress and touch on some serious issues as well...:-)

Darlene said...

I think most of us have had to face that dilemma at some point in our lives. It's a thorny issue.

I did not tell the wife of a couple that my husband and I were friends with that her husband had multiple affairs. If she didn't pick up on it herself I decided that she really didn't want to know. I don't regret my decision. The marriage lasted, but it was not a happy one.