Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, May 08, 2011

Surprises along the trail

When we hike at Catalina State Park, we always know there can be poisonous snakes. I keep my eyes on the side of the trail-- my side anyway. We have seen a few but they have been rare.


Mostly we are there for the wildflowers, cactus in bloom, views of the mountain, and the desert pools, which will likely be dry in another week or two unless it get rains before the monsoons.


Our second hike got interesting in the way you don't voluntarily choose. We were walking down a part of the trail wide enough to walk abreast. As always, I had my eyes on my side watching for movement or something that doesn't fit, but Farm Boss, as usual, not so much. We both heard the telltale rattle.


Since he was on the side closest to the rattle, he moved fastest, practically stepping on me to get out of the zone. When we got a few feet down the trail we were able to go back and safely evaluate what kind of snake it was (we knew the rattler part) as well as take some telephoto pictures before the source of our adrenaline rush irritatedly undulated off into the brush and rocks.


It was a Western Diamondback which are noted for having feisty personalities. Although I have been close to rattlesnakes a few times when out, this was the closest I was to one that was angry and rattling to let the world know.


There had been a hiker on the trail about a hundred feet ahead of us, and we are guessing the snake didn't like running into him and us even less. It is said that they are one of the more irritable snakes (big too) and will let the first hiker past, second one they rattle at, and third one gets bit. Since I would have been the third one, given how fast Farm Boss moved out of there, I was glad I was on the other side of the trail. Farm Boss didn't like being less than three feet from a snake that could have reached him if it had so chosen.

A few days after that, he was in line at the Ace Hardware Store for some of the myriad of things we have needed here, and the men were discussing all the diamondbacks they had seen this spring as well as their irritable, spring dispositions. People who live further out see quite a lot around their homes, and it's a concern especially for small children or pets.

Here at this house, I never go outside without looking before stepping down but have not yet seen one here. Our closest neighbors have talked of seeing newly hatched diamondbacks on their porch; so they are likely around.

Years ago, driving up to the house, I saw a snake that looked like a diamondback on my porch right beside my cat who was sitting by the door and watching the snake with great interest. That cat was desert bred and I am not sure what he was thinking. On that particular trip, I was staying here by myself, and seeing my cat and that huge snake (probably 4 feet in length) with diamondback markings gave me quite a start. I looked though for the rattles and saw none. The snake's head was not triangular, and I heaved a sigh of relief, quickly moved to pick up my cat, taking him and me in the backdoor, and of course, grabbed my camera as the bull snake moseyed off in no hurry but staying long enough to get its photo taken. They are snakes you want as they eat the diamondbacks.

This diamondback we saw on the trail was doing what it should have done. It was not the most frightening thing I ever saw a snake do either. That honor goes to one years back on a highway near the Tucson Mountains. It had evidently had its tail run over and was furious. I had read that they can go nearly vertical, but only believed it when I actually saw it. It lunged viciously at every car that passed, striking about side view mirror height. Those were the days before air conditioned vehicles in our life, and Farm Boss quickly rolled up his window. We passed without harm but neither of us ever forgot it! I had read of horseback riders running into that and shooting the snake with the view it was not a disposition you wanted reproducing.

When I had hiked in Arizona mountains, I used to think I only had to keep an eye on the ground in front of me. Then one year at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum we saw a timber rattler (on the other side of the glass fortunately) curled up for a nap in the branches of a tree. It would have hardly been noticeable if one was walking past. Fortunately they aren't known for having as nasty a disposition as the Mojave and the Diamondback.

I like seeing snakes out, remembering with detail every time it turned out to be a poisonous one. I wouldn't kill any snake unless it was absolutely necessary as I see their value to the ecosystem. I find them actually quite beautiful and am only afraid of them when they are poisonous.

18 comments:

Tabor said...

I am afraid of poisonous snakes big time. They get my heart racing. I am planning a desert trip this fall...we have not decided where and I hope by September with cool nights the snakes will be calming down. I have encountered only one rattler and almost had a heart attack but was still curious enough to try to get a better look. Does the population get many snake bites in your area?

Rain Trueax said...

This is their irritable season and they aren't so much so during summer or fall and of course hibernate in the winter. I don't know how many bites around Tucson but most come from someone doing something dumb like trying to grab one. A child several years ago was at a popular hiking spot and sat on a rock which got her bit but that was parent's not understanding how to act around snakes. You don't sit on anything you cannot see clear under. In gardening around this house, I watch where I put my hands and the desert is open enough that you can usually see if you take the time to do so.

I have hiked all over Arizona, from mountains to low desert, gone up arroyos where there was no trail looking for petroglyphs or rocks, scrambled here and there over rough terrain, and come across them in the outdoors only a handful of times and never had one try to strike-- except that one who had its tail run over on the highway. Rattles are just warnings although I'd not have wanted to be foolish by getting too close to one that was saying stay away. It's a shame so many do kill them because just being cautious around them is almost always enough protection.

I think areas like the south probably have more risky snakes (cottonmouths) and more bites. And doesn't New York have a rattlesnakes? I think about the only place in the US that doesn't have them is where our farm is in the Willamette Valley, west side of the Cascades, and then up from that through Washington.

My advice is just don't sit where you cannot see around you, don't pick up rocks without some caution, watch what is ahead of you on a trail, and it's likely you'll never even see one. To hear one rattle like we did this time was something not many ever hear in this area.

When we lived here in '65-'66, Farm Boss was out with a friend to try and catch rattlesnakes, never even saw one, but his friend did fall into a bunch of the old spiny balls that had fallen from a jumping cholla. Those had to be pried out of his rear by a long knife. Now that's more apt to happen for the careless. (I had one pried out of one of my knees onetime also-- definitely no fun)

Paul said...

I have a phobia of snakes ...The pics are lovely Rain...

Ingineer66 said...

I hate snakes. Not sure if it is the same down there, but here the wet winter has all the plant life doing very well. And with that the birds and the rattlesnakes seem to be having a bountiful spring as well. Both are very thick already.

Unfortunately the poison oak is having a wonderful spring too. I already have a nice case and I didn't think I got within 10 feet of it.

Rain Trueax said...

I hope you are treating the poison oak very seriously as I had a case seven or maybe eight years ago which I didn't know it could go systemic. If it doesn't go away in a short period of time, get into the doctor and onto prednisone as when it goes systemic, it's definitely not fun and it caused my immune system to then change what it reacted to which meant dairy led to outbreaks. Some of that might've been my age also but I would never take it for granted again!

Kay Dennison said...

Yikes!!! Snakes make me nervous!!! Great photos!!!

Celia said...

Great photos; I'm not afraid of snakes per se but I am respectful and try to be aware. We have Western Rattlesnakes in SE Washington. They are about 2+feet long as adults and pretty shy and sometimes play possum hoping we'll go away I guess. People here often confuse them with gopher snakes. I do wear high topped hiking boots all the same.

Your sojourn in desert is very appealing.

mandt said...

Happy Mother's Day Rain

Taradharma said...

great snakes alive!

what stories, what pictures. Good thing you know the habits of snakes and know to be careful around them. I didn't realize rattlers could go so vertical as to hit the side mirrors on a car. Yipes.

I think snakes are beautiful -- I just don't want to run into a dangerous one. I love the feel of them - they are sleek.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

In Tucson one evening in '66, we got out of our car and there was a coiled Western Diamond Back rattling. Because we lived in a densely populated apartment complex, we killed the snake with a shovel. My husband wnted the skin and I saw the beautiful meat. It looked delicious but we didn't eat it.

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks, Rain. Last year I got it for the first time in my life and it was bad. This year I did not mess around. I went to a dermatologist because I wanted an expert opinion. Got a kenalog shot and high power steroid cream. That seems to be working better than the prednisone pills last year.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

When I saw that first picture of the snake I thought---My Lord, He Is BIG!!! I find snakes pretty scary and especially these angry ones you have written about here and shown us....You and Farm Boss are very very brave, to my way of thinking...! The desert is Beautiful and all the plants amd flowers are so incredibly beautiful---but, deliver me please from those poisenous ones!

Dick said...

There has been some talk among RVer friends this year about rattle snakes in the SW. Apparently they are learning not to shake their rattles as much and probably part of that is it warns the wild pigs who love to eat them. I doubt that they will ever wipe out rattle snakes but there may be some truth to this. Don't count on them always giving a warning of their presence.

Rain Trueax said...

I have never counted on the rattle from them because of all the times I have seen them out, this is the first one that actually was partially coiled and rattling. Generally when I see them, they are on their way somewhere. Once I came close to stepping on a mojave that was ignoring me totally (fortunately as they are known to be nasty of disposition also). The good thing about the rattle is it does help to identify one. Too many people kill the bull snakes, which are good to have around, without looking for the rattles (rattling or not) and triangular head. My opinion on the rattlers is watch for the movement and color that is slightly different, like I said, don't sit where you cannot see under and around where you are, basically be observative.

I also think people should not kill them unless they are, as Parapluie mentioned, in an area where there are too many people who would be vulnerable to their bites. I wouldn't kill one around this house if I saw one. The rodent population is kept down by the snake population and some serious diseases like Hanta Virus come from too many rodents. Balance is the ticket.

Robert the Skeptic said...

Even though cobras in India are responsible for a number of deaths, they are tolerated because of their control over vermin.

Anonymous said...

Great snake photos, Rain! That looks like a pretty close encounter. Yikes!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I was raised in the Sunland-Tujunga area of L.A. back when it was very rural and rattlers were very common. My dad would kill them with a shovel and take the rattlers somewhere as there was a bounty back in those days. $1, I recall.

I have an extremely healthy respect for all snakes. By the way, I love the Desert Museum in Tucson and there's a good one in Palm Springs, too.

Once, when camping with Indian Maidens way back when, someone killed one on the trail and they BBQ'd it. I didn't taste it.

Glad you got around this guy. I would have run the other way as fast as I could.

Trail Running said...

That's a lot of surprises. And what the hell, a ratlle snake, er that's poisonous. I'd love to see one too. The path you took up have lots of good stuffs. Hooray for that.