Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, June 01, 2008

Scott McClellan's book

I am having a hard time understanding the outrage from both the left and the right that Scott McClellan wrote a book revealing the underside of the Bush administration. It appears that whether you are on the far right or left, you think he was, as Drudge put it, a snitch. He's disloyal and so forth.

Representing the left there is Terry McAuliffe-- "I find it abhorrent the way these people come out and write books about their boss. It made 'em money; it made 'em prestige; it gave them all this power and then they turn around and slap 'em.... I don't care who it is-- Democrat, Republican-- it's wrong."

From out of the right corner charges Bob Dole, who wrote McClellan directly and released it, of course, to the media-- "There are miserable creatures like you in every administration who don't have the guts to speak up or quit if there are disagreements with the boss or colleagues... No, your type soaks up the benefits of power, revels in the limelight for years, then quits and, spurred on by greed, cashes in with a scathing critique."

Defending himself, Scott McClellan responded to Mr. Dole publicly, saying, "I have had time to reflect and go back, and what I'm saying is sincere."

So basically what both the right and left are saying is protect our butts first and the American people? Who cares about them. Who cares about what is right or wrong. Just protect the political system at all cost. Do you hear any of these political leaders saying the truth should be told, and it's most important that it be revealed? Not a one. From Mary Matalin down the line, they see this as abhorrent. Why? Because it threatens the system that they all protect no matter what it does.

This is the system that has to be changed. I don't know what kind of person Scott McClellan is or was. I don't know if he knew when he was selling the war that it was all a bunch of lies. I do know that whenever someone knows the truth, they should tell the people, for whom they supposedly work, and not act like a bunch of high school brats protecting their gang at all cost.

8 comments:

Dick said...

This shows why it was necessary to pass so called "whistle blower" protection laws. It also shows my big complaint about both major parties- they are more concerned about themselves and "their" continued power than they are for the country and it's people. Just more of the same.

Kay Dennison said...

I don't think from what I've read about McClellan's book that there are any great surprises. He just verifies what we all have suspected for a long time. All the hollering is for naught. Both parties are guilty of the same you-know-what and could care less what happens to the ordinary schmucks as long as they have theirs and no matter who gets elected nothing is going to change. Am I cynical? You betcha but who made me that way?

Anonymous said...

Kay expresses my sentiments. I would add that it is misleading to judge political animals by the same standards we must adhere to. They are all a sleazy, opportunistic bunch that makes sure they are above and beyond the rule of law. If a politician is honest when elected (can you imagine that happening?), he/she is not likely to be by the time they leave office. I so hope that Obama is an exception to the rule and has a chance to prove it.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I feel as Winston does. Scott McClellan's book has the sound of the clear ring of truth to me. I never had any beief that Bush was justified in declaring war on Iraq. And my own good sense says Obama is the most genuine presidential hopeful in decades. I think his communicative skill will be a much needed turn around in our government

Mary Lou said...

Let's just hope and PRAY that the "BITCH" Doesnt pull a hat trick and steal the nomination from Obama! SCARY!!

PS as a former Govt worker, we had to sign a statement that we would not PROFIT from anything that happened in our job for at least 5 years after we no lionger worked there. That May or may not be the case there.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I Soooo Agree, Rain! It makes one wonder what in hell it is all about if the only thing the Right & Left can agree on is that what this man did was wrong! Where are we as a People? As a Country?
WHERE?

Anonymous said...

You said it all very well. Now....if we could only get the politicians to listen to you!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I'm watching Obama's speech right now and just watched Hillary's. I've followed your blog when you've written about political matters during this campaign. I look forward to hearing your take on the speeches. As for McClellan's tell all book, or for any insider's revelations (including people who work for celebrities) I have to question their motives. So many do it for money; I doubt that was his motive.

When George Stefanopolis left the Clinton administration, it was clear he was not a happy camper. But, though he has many detractors, I don't recall him doing a tell all. Did he?

If I were an insider in any endeavor that no longer matched my core values, I would exit. If something illegal was going on, I'd go to the proper authorities. I don't think I'd write a book unless it would serve the common good. But, who am I to judge one way or another? Thanks for a thoughtful post.