Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Too much -- Too little

It seems to me that we are bombarded with information but too often not enough to make really informed decisions. One moment something is good for you and the next it will cause cancer, make your brain turn to mush, and ruin your sex life.

Yes, I know that we have a choice and don't have to read it all. We could toss the email forwards without reading the latest threat to our health or country; but the Internet has made getting too much and too little information all too easy.

In a newspaper, I had to actually turn pages and then the newspaper edited what I should know about whatever happened recently. On the Internet, editing is in my control. I choose which newspapers, scan titles, have the option of reading news sites that compile three different newspaper slants on the same story. I can cycle through a lot of information instantly. Raw milk seized. Beef recalled. One week Ibuprofen is the super drug, next week it might threaten my life to take it.

So what to do? I want to be informed to make my choices intelligently. I want to know about health advances or threats. I feel I should learn when other countries have been hit by disasters as I assume they would like to know when my country has been. I want to know politically what different candidates have said or done. But how much good does it do to know about bad things that are happening or have happened that I can't do anything about?

If a headline promises new advances for a more youthful face for no cost, it is likely I will read it even knowing it's going to be something that doesn't work. Likewise when it gives a warning about a product I regularly might consume which is now said to be potentially deadly, I'll read it; but should I? Is the most deadly thing of all so much out there with no real way to weigh the 'information' or only getting part of it while knowing contradictory facts are likely to arise next month or year?

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off reading none of it. It's not just newspapers headlines, and email forwards, but say a friend gets a disease, my instinctive thought is to click on the Internet to find out what can be done about it. Right after that, I notice symptoms of the same disease that I never noticed before...

Part of the problem with these stories is that a lot of research is done by companies wanting to sell their products. Out comes the information, piecemeal, aimed at one conclusion with a different company and a different take in another month.

It didn't used to be that drug companies could advertise on television. Now we can't turn on a news program without learning more than we ever wanted to know about erectile dysfunction-- and at the same time learning nothing about it.

I don't know the answer unless it would be to quit being informed, but is that really a good idea? While I may not have an answer, these recent sheep photos do show how I am feeling about a lot of it.


If you'll notice, most of our sheep have tails, which is not what you usually see in flocks. A few years back, we got into Shetland sheep which are a bit smaller than most other breeds, also more agile, boy can they climb. They don't generally have tails quite as long as some other breeds. Our first Shetland, bought from a flock that did not dock (remove) tails, showed us what we had been taught by the experts was wrong. Having tails did not lead to more mess, no more difficulty in lambing. It is more work for the shearer.

Since removing tails is uncomfortable for the animals with some small risk of infection if you don't keep an eye on the lamb, we only now dock tails from lambs that have the longer ones. What we are doing is not the 'in' thing for sheep growers. When we know we will likely be selling an animal for breeding, we are forced to de-tail; but when we are keeping them, or they are going for lamb chops, we let them wag their tails behind them.

It's odd how customs like removing tails become so prevalent. At the last county fair, I noticed tails were virtually gone from the show ewes which will make them more prone to prolapse in lambing; but when you're talking about showing livestock, we learned years ago, practical farm husbandry has no role.

The sheep tails do illustrate something. Listen to the experts, read the research, but also observe what actually works as best you know it. Experts know a lot. They don't know it all.

8 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

This goes along with my theme in life. Everything in moderation. So that way when we are told that eggs are bad for us one year and that they are good for us later, if I ate eggs once in a while all along then I am probably just fine.

But it also says, "Do not be a sheep, think for yourself". Which is not what most Americans want to hear. They want to be told what to do.

robin andrea said...

It's an interesting thing about fashion and animals. My sister has always had Great Danes. She doesn't cut their ears. It's not fashionable, but she does what's good for the animal. I'm not sure what it means to be an expert anymore. It seems there are a million opinions about everything. I think we have to read as much as we can about it all and wade through to try to form our own sense of things.

Sandy said...

Your topic is something I have talked about off and on for a few years now. It used to be, in days of old, that the only news that you heard was from your town/village etc. Maybe you would hear about happenings in the community closest to you when someone passed through yours. The bigger news was only heard when the "town crier" heard something BIG in whatever way they did, be it by groups passing through...however. Long story short, are we as humans really geared mentally and physically to hear everything that is going on in our world including disasters in other countries, the murders, trials, horrific crimes, new research found on anything. It is an overwhelming amount of information and for your brain to take it all in, every single day is a HUGE thing. Yes, I like to be kept abreast of happenings in other countries or if there is something that will potentially hurt or heal me. Other than that I honestly believe that we have information overload. If that makes people think, bury your head in the sand, so be it, but I have stopped watching & reading the news except for the headlines in the morning. I will hear more throughout my day, I always do.

Mary Lou said...

It is getting harder and harder to know which source to trust anymore. I try to listen to all of the news channels and then make up my own mind. I HATE being told what to do...stubborn I guess.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I love these sheep photos and I did not know about the tails. How I love that movie Babe; I've always had an affinity for sheep but very limited experience with them.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, your lambs are SOOO cute! But wait a sec...did you say LAMB CHOPS? OOOOH, I think I'll not think about THAT. Especially since I had them for dinner the other night!
I've always felt that docking the tails, especially on dogs, isn't right. They were born with the tails...leave 'em there.
When we got Holly, she was part Boxer and they have the docked tails. The owner asked if I wanted her tail docked and I said NO WAY! And I'll tell ya....feeling her tail wag against me was just the best thing!
As far as information...I've always maintained.....a little knowledge is dangerous.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

joared said...

I hadn't thought about sheep tails before. Do they use their tales as cattle and horses do to swat away insects?

I long since have been repelled by cropping animals ears, cutting tails, breaking show horses tails and resetting them. Seems mostly to be for cosmetic reasons much as people do to their bodies.

joared said...

Yes -- it's tails not tales!! *grin*
Guess I was thinking of sheep tales like "Mary had a little lamb..."