Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, May 09, 2008

Dreams and their meanings-- or not

Whenever I have an interesting dream, I always wish I would also find how it applies to my life. Is my subconscious trying to help me see something that my conscious is missing? I have had many symbolic dreams although some have taken years to fully understand. When a dream is particularly vivid, I make more effort to find meaning to the symbols, story, or both.

May 5th, I woke while it was still dark, and in my mind was one of those dreams. I lay knowing I would go back to sleep but wanting to remember all of what had been in the dream; so I could hold onto it for later. When I looked at the clock, it was 4:17 AM. The new moon would be an hour later. Not that it necessarily applies, but many have said that was a powerful time astrologically.

Later that morning, when I wrote down the dream, I felt pleased as I haven't had such a detailed story dream in quite awhile. More often I know I may have had one but can't remember what happened when I wake up. This time the dream was firmly planted.

After I'd written the dream elements down, I spent some time thinking about its meaning. No recent movies or books could explain why. Was there a purpose besides being enjoyable?

Because I do write, I considered whether it was meant to become a manuscript. Unlikely. Although the story was interesting to me, it was sparse for events. I have gotten story ideas started this way, but this one would have an added problem. To write an historical romance about the Middle Ages, where it appeared to have been set, would take a lot of research as those readers know their period and expect any author to know it likewise. Although I have read books from that era (nothing in years), I don't know enough. Nor have I ever had interest in doing extensive research into that time.

There was an obvious second question for me. Could one of the characters in the dream have been me in a past life? It wasn't any period nor story that I got in my regressions; nor have I had any particular interest in it like those who travel to and dress up for Medieval fairs.

The last possibility is, despite my not seeing a connection right now, perhaps the symbols or story are or will be allegorical for my life. There weren't many symbols for the dream dictionary to be of help; however, sometimes it has taken years to see how something applies. When it finally does, I have been glad I hadn't let it go. I think those kinds of dreams give a person faith that there is more to life than biology.

Because I thought it'd be interesting to try and because I have painted my dreams before, I decided to use the computer paint tools to create a digital image of what the couple might have looked like. Since characters in dream stories are rarely someone I have met, no movie stars, intuiting was what was required.

I don't know if any reader here is good at dream analysis, but the story and image follow in case someone would like to give it a try:

******************

The times are feudal. If it was here on earth, it would most likely be the British Isles or Europe somewhere in the Middle Ages. The dream begins in what appears to be a big castle with a great many rooms where leaders come to stay for periods of socializing, working out treaties, or other negotiations. It seemed the lands were divided into small kingdoms, each with its own leader, but no overall ruler.

The woman is beautiful with long black hair, wearing a long gown, and in her early 30s for age. I would think she had been married and widowed as she appears to have a freedom of choice that would have been unusual in unmarried young women.

The man [neither character had a name that I can remember] knocks on her door. They had previously arranged to meet to decide if they were going to be married. Their marriage would be beneficial to themselves and to the lands they each control. Both are experienced enough in life to believe that arranged marriages are not good unless they are wanted by both parties.

She looks him over and is pleasantly surprised. He is a bit older than she, handsome, big, and tough looking. Their secret meeting is for the purpose of having sex as if that is good, then it decides the rest. She feels relief that she is instantly attracted to him.

The next morning he knows she had been pleased but asks her anyway if it had been good enough. It has [I have to take the dream characters' word for this as I almost never dream about sex and this was no exception but my impression was it went on all night and was very good for them both]. They marry, joining their lands and people together, by simply saying the words to each other. This was the way it was done and the people around them accept it that way [one of several elements that doesn't seem to fit the actual period].

In their culture, the males practice battles to hone their skills. The man goes off with his friends to observe one of these mock battles. Against the rules and any expectations, he finds himself under real physical attack. The battle is to death. He fights and is able to fend off the attackers but is wounded.

When he comes back to her, she is at first angry to realize he had been fighting. War is anathema to her. He does not like it either, but he also had done what he needs to do for the world in which he must function. When he faints from his injuries, she forgets her displeasure and tends his wounds. They grow closer. Their physical pleasure is only part of what works as they are of like minds for many things.

Before they can leave for his lands, the lord, who has been trying to control all of these feudal lands, has arranged a jousting. It is supposedly just for amusement also. The man is not trusting of anything at this point and in no mood to joust but has no choice in accepting.

He picks up a lance and mounts his horse. His opponent, mounted at the opposite end of wherever this was, has some odd kind of weapon, like a circle of some sort on a chain that he could swing. Before the two could meet, the opponent simply throws his weapon down [the opponent's weapon looked more like a double wooden wreathe and like no weapon I have seen]. His opponent's forfeit is something that is not done; except at that point, rather than knocking him from his horse, the man also pulls up his own lance. The two do not do the competition.

The lord who is trying to amass power is very displeased as he wants these contests to determine a winner as apparently the losers pay him a forfeit. Everything he is doing is intended to build his control and become a king over all these lands.

The dream ends with the couple knowing they are finally free to leave for the man’s lands, but they will not be free of conflict. The trouble is growing.

************************

This was as though reading a book which was the first in what was a series of three, and at the same time watching a film from the 40s-- you know the kind where historical elements are not true to the times but rather to what viewers today would like to imagine. Whatever the case, it was an enjoyable dream, the kind I wish I could experience more frequently. For me, they don't come on demand.

After such a dream, I always question if I was inside the dream, as one of the characters, or was an observer from outside that world. I am not sure, but think I may switch back and forth.

8 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is a very complex dream Rain...I mean, I dob't think I've ever read about such a detailed dream in terms of period and staying in that time period...I can see why you felt it could be a story or book or even a film! I haven't a clue aas to what it might mean. It s my understand that the importance of dreams is how you felt in the drean, not so much the details of the symbolism. It sounds like you felt GREAT! (lol)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

That is the kind of dream you might have again with a continuation of the story. Why question? Why not just enjoy.
I think the painting could fit any period like the story. Maybe the weapons would be a little different but the competition remains. Land is so important to Europeans and most cultures.

Rain Trueax said...

Well, I enjoy them whether I understand their meaning or not. Some probably have no meaning beyond enjoyment; but when I find one that has meaning and I can interpret it, it has added to the enjoyment. Sometimes a few years go by and when the meaning becomes evident, I am glad I keep the dream in my memory as it helps me with a situation that sure I could have dealt with anyway but the dream adds to my ability to deal with it.

Dick said...

I don't know much about dreams but that one of yours is very detailed and covers quite a long period of time. I do know that the political arena is looking very interesting and it is at least partially switching to your state now. It is pretty much looking good, to my way of thinking. Maybe we will see a new beginning starting next January?

Anonymous said...

You are the woman in the painting Rain !

Anonymous said...

Wow! This dream must have gone on all night! I never have dreams so detailed and long lasting as this. Very unusual.
It sure sounded like a novel to me. Perhaps you should pursue it.
By the way....I thought the drawing very much resemebled a younger version of you. Striking similarity.
I'm just wondering, since it had to do with a "contest"....do you think the current political situation was on your mind?
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

joared said...

Quite a detailed dream. I know there are a variety of ways in which various people who study dreams explain how they are interpreted. Think interpretation depends on which type analysis in which a person believes.

The most meaningful interpretive approach, as explained to me, was far less complex than I had been concluding from what I had read. What I have come to believe are the feelings you had in the dream are more important than the elements or events, much as oldoldlady says. I think color(s) and/or music, if any, may indicate feeling, too.

From that perspective, be aware of what feelings emerged throughout the dream? What feelings were you finally left with? Sounds like you had quite a range of feelings from start to end with some resolutions of a positive nature. The end also sounded as though there were potential unknown changing outside pressures creating some possible degree of apprehension, anxiety.
Was there a feeling of confidence in coping with the unknown?

Rain Trueax said...

Those were all interesting comments and things to think about. On the how I felt in the dream, it was empowered. The woman had power to choose her life and was not being driven to anything; but she and the man lived in a world that was complex and going to be increasingly difficult. I do think it relates to how I see our times with changes that are beyond our control. Denying the world changes would be foolish. There are times with less turmoil than others. In the dream, the couple were facing a world where there would be struggle but because they were together, the fire of their union was going to make dealing with anything easier. The idea that another man wasn't willing to play the games of the would-be king, that was also encouraging. We are not alone in wanting a better world for the future.