Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, March 24, 2008

Moon over Tucson

Anyone who regularly reads this blog knows I have a thing about full moons. We just experienced an Equinox full moon sometimes called the Awakening Moon for it being the beginning of spring.

It was during a full moon and an eclipse that I had traveled to Tucson; and there I was, about to leave, with the Equinox and the moon nearly full again.

Could I miss the opportunity to see it rise from one of my favorite desert canyon trails? I didn't plan this opportunity but am never one to pass up what fate hands me.

We had walked about a mile, half the trail, when we stopped to wait at a high point for the moon to come over the ridge. It was right at sunset which made the light rich and appropriate for welcoming the first spring full moon.

Doing this also meant we would be one of the last ones off the trails, but it was worth a little nervousness on finishing the hike nearly in the dark to see that full moon with the canyon, stream, mountain, and cactus.

I not only waded the stream but took a moment to dip my hands into the stream to baptize myself with the water and the power of the moment.

"And the moon shines high over Tucson
Over waters that were long ago dried
Cause the moon don't care if the water's not there
It still tries
It calls to the water and it calls to the land
It calls to the hearts of women and men"

lyrics from Carrie Newcomer's 'Moon over Tucson' on one of my favorite albums 'Betty's Diner- Best of Carrie Newcomer.'


These are the times I most value having a blog-- a place I can share my experience.


Photos taken March 19, just before the spring Equinox, on Tucson's Canyon Loop Trail as the moon rose and the sun set.

I am back in Oregon but the next set of photos will be a few (the difficulty is getting it down to a few) of the many wildflowers from the Sonoran Desert's spectacular spring.

10 comments:

Dick said...

That is indeed a magical area. Pat's daughter and SIL recently bought a house in Oro Valley. They plan to have it for a winter retreat when they retire but will try to spend some time there every winter until they can retire. I hope that Pat will agree to spend some time down there each winter and think it may happen, at least during the time they are down in AZ.

Mary Lou said...

That was a great post Rain! Maybe I can get back to Tucson someday!

Anonymous said...

Rain you and the scenery are so beautifull !! :-) Can you e-mail me at BruiserAga77@gmail.com ?

robin andrea said...

It looks like spring is a perfect time to be in Tucson. That's quite beautiful. We didn't see the full moon rise here. The clouds were heavy and dark.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

All these pictures are just wonderful Rain...I get such a feeling from what you write about your experience there abd seeing the accimpanying pictures....It is quite moving, my dear. Thank you for sharing this and I look forward to the Flowers Of The Desert....!

It sounds like Tuscon is a place pf renewel and rejuvination for you...!

Ingineer66 said...

Is it just me or does that top photo look like the cactus is flipping the bird? I am in a weird mood today so maybe it is just me.

The Geezers said...

Great scenery. I do have to make a point to get down that way someday.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Fantastic photos, Rain. You definitely have the best of two worlds: Oregon and Arizona. Didn't you say you were born in Montana or Idaho? Too lazy to go read your bio. Signing off for the night.

Rain Trueax said...

I was actually born in Oregon, third generation (mother and grandfather also).

joared said...

Lovely photos -- brought back many memories.