Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bobcat and some politics

Earlier, I mentioned seeing the bobcat one morning as she appeared to be running home to the wash just after first light. When my husband was flying back down, I reminded him to bring the wildlife camera. It's an inexpensive camera that hunters use, triggered by motion which we bought thinking it'd be fun to see what's out around the farm where we are not. We haven't used it much there, but we thought it'd be interesting to see what is out here... at night.

The surprise came not from getting a photo of the bobcat, but when and where-- right off the patio, strolling past with no concern, and middle of the day right after we had left to go to the store. Very neat but also makes me aware that I need to be watchful (which I always am down here) when I go outside. I have seen the coyote right near the patio, but it hasn't come when the camera was set up or else it triggered it and left too fast.

Bobcats are common down here and not dangerous to humans unless they are rabid. Tucson has had several attacks in the last couple of years-- one on a golf course and one a couple unloading their groceries from their automobile. The rabies shots would be the worst part of that experience.

I was asked what I thought about Obama's speech. Reading the papers online, right wing think it was no big deal, too little, and too late. Left wing think it's the best speech they heard in their lifetime. Nothing new in any of that.

For me, I think he's an example of the kind of leadership we need. He's right about our racial history, the racial issues with which we still suffer, and it's hard to say if we are past it and at a point where we can see him as just a man who has the right temperament, positions, and experiences to be a gifted leader. It would be as wrong to vote for him for racial healing as it would be to vote for Hillary for gender justice. We have to get to where we can listen to these people, judge their actions, and vote not just for what it will get us but what we believe it will get the country.

This situation with the economy is something that could turn the whole country (and it's not just us but a worldwide issue) upside down. Suppose we are heading for a depression? Who will best lead us in a situation like that where people need to rebuild confidence in their system? Stock markets today are not just for the rich but also most people's entire pension systems. Will the next president be someone who is only interested in war as a solution? Someone who thinks that tax cuts solve everything? Someone who will do anything to win? Or will it be someone who can inspire us to change what must be changed for the good of us all?

After seven years of George Bush in leadership, I have no idea in how good the American people are in judging any of it. I just hope voters do vote using logic, not emotion nor religious zealotry. That they don't panic over the economic turmoil that looks likely to come. We are a strong people; but if we listen to that small inner voice (read last blog) and it's coming from the wrong place, if it doesn't fit with what is also logic and genuine love, we are in big trouble. It does not bother me that Obama, Hillary and McCain might all be Christians but it's not a reason to vote for them either.

I like this last image of the bobcat leaving. Kind of says a lot if you have a sense of humor.

8 comments:

robin andrea said...

This is my kind of post, rain. Politics and wildlife. Yay! What a fantastic shot of the bobcat. I love seeing them, and always look forward to our next surprising encounter.

I heard Obama's speech and thought it was compelling, compassionate, and utterly coherent. Things we've been missing on the political stage for a very long time. I completely support Obama's candidacy now, as I see that we need his thoughtful leadership.

Mary Lou said...

You are so right!! It was a good speech. And all of us have people in our backgrounds that would not be politically correct if we were running for office. At least he confronted it. And he is right there is a BIG divide in this country, and not just about race, there is big divide AMONG the races too. We all need to get together and pull our selves out of this quagmire we find ourselves in.

I had to stare and stare at the pictures to find the bobcat. DUH!!!

Kay Dennison said...

Politics and Wildlife? Given the Spitzer debacle and previous indiscretion by others of that ilk, I thought the two went hand and hand!!! LOL

Love the bobcat photo! That camera is way cool!

Loved Obama's speech but I'm still wondering (to borrow a line from AQ) how much is steak and how much is sizzle.

Dick said...

I'll bet that camera does give you some fascinating photos.

I didn't hear all of the speech, just hi-lites from it but what I heard sounded very good. As I have said before, he has different experiences than Hillary and I think they have made him a person who can know how others feel about issues better than she can ever hope to. The next few years will no doubt be very interesting.

Ingineer66 said...

Like the photos and I appreciate your sense of humor on the last one.
I did not hear the speech only some analysis of it. One comment that I heard said that if a white candidate went to meetings of a white supremest group every week and then tried to say that they did not agree with what was being preached at the meetings they would still be crucified for even going. But Obama can go to a church where they preach racism and hatred of whites and it is ok because he didn't listen.
I like Obama because he is different and not such an insider, even though I disagree with his liberal view points on many things. And I think many Americans liked him because he did not come across as a "black" candidate. He came across as an American and a uniter. But now that he started to act more like the typical black candidates like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton I think that is going to hurt him among middle America where he was doing so well.

Rain Trueax said...

You are listening to too much fox and right wing radio, ingineer. I heard them today driving north with incendiary comments that have nothing to do with what Obama said. There is a lot more racism in this country than the right wants to acknowledge. Obama does not belong to a black racist cult. He belonged to a church in his community who evidently Oprah also belongs to. I don't know if you have ever been a member of a church but i have and you can like the pastor and disagree with what he says. Obama says that is the case here. Some of what Wright said was clearly off in left field but some is true. We have a racist history and we have a ways to go before we judge people for who they are instead of either fearing them as he said his grandmother did when another race walked down the street or like some whites now-- fearing a black as a leader. Perhaps Obama should have left his church earlier but having been in his shoes, I understand the difficulty.
And despite idiots like Sean Hannity who just spout a line, his speech made sense. The news media is out to destroy him now like they might later on anybody else. Go by what Obama says and does, not what the media is highlighting. Read his speech, not just pieces someone else wants you to hear. Your choices are him or McCain who still can't get straight what is going on with Iraq in the Sunni, Shiite mix. Listen to what McCain says and then tell me you want that guy running this country for 4 more years of
bushlite.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Skunks, racoons, squirrels and possums are what hang around down in the 'hood near the beach. I'd pee my pants if I saw a bobcat, but I think your bobcat does have a cute butt.

Thanks for talking about Obama's speech. I knew you would approach it thoughtfully and unbiased. You said what I would say if I could say political things. I rarely do because I really can't. My heart isn't in it.

Wren said...

Your bobcats, bunnies and javalena pictures are terrific. I miss the desert. I appreciate your fair-minded political impressions as well as your fear of fundamentalism. It is a dangerous enemy.