Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, December 18, 2007

More than a Memory

For those who are not Country Western music fans, the fact that Garth Brooks had retired probably led to a big yawn (if they even knew who he was); however, for those of us who are, the fact that he is back has led to an even bigger smile. He had been mostly retired to devote more time to his three daughters after a divorce, and maybe to figure out what he really liked doing. Happily, he is back.

When I first heard this song, I thought how insightful. It's about a man trying to tell others why something that seems unreal to them is real to his life.

Healthy or not, what we think in our head is often how we create our so-called reality. We can limit our choices, our future, everything based on some internal set of beliefs, fantasies, words others said. Sometimes we aren't even aware of those memories anymore, but they are what guide and either enrich or limit our daily life as well as fill our dreams.

Garth writes a lot of his music but he didn't this one. Lee Brice, Kyle Jacobs and Billy Montana did, but he made it his by the power he brought to the words. I found the lyrics online to share a little of what the song says but then found it has a YouTube. For those of you who hate country western enough that you won't even listen to this song, you don't know what you are missing -- in this case a video of him singing it but with the imagery for which he's known-- to those who know him...

"People say she's only in my head ... It's gonna take time but I'll forget ... They say I need to get on with my life ... They don't realize it's when you're dialing 6 numbers just to hang up the phone ... Driving cross town just to see if she's home Waking a friend in the dead of the night ... Just to hear him say it's going to be alright ... When you're finding things to do, not to fall asleep ... Cause you know she'll be there in your dreams ... That's when she's ... More than a memory



(The computer art is one of mine about a man with such a memory.)

2 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm a Garth fan...so I'm happy to see him back too Rain. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

My mom was a huge C/W fan all her life and even my daughter is more so than I am....I do enjoy some of it.
The song and video here was pretty good. And oh yeah....those memories....they can be pretty powerful.
Terri