Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, December 09, 2007

Commenting

[This quote is from Blogger regarding commenting problems: "Ironically, our testing of OpenID, a feature that lets you use accounts from all over the web to comment on Blogger, made it appear that we were trying to force you into getting a Google Account. We regret this appearance, since we're strong supporters of OpenID and open web standards in general.

If you haven't set up OpenID, you can still link to your blog — or any webpage, for that matter — by using the standard link tag inside the comment form."] So hopefully this is all straightened out...

On the earlier issue of commenting problems, due to Google changing their rules, I have done some more thinking. Since links work in the comment section, if anyone does not know how to post a URL as a link, I will email them the needed letters and symbols. It's confusing to explain here as blogger keeps not saving it even with leaving spaces between. In an email it will be obvious how it works, and when you have written it a few times, it is easy to remember.

Naturally this will mean any reader will have to decide if these are safe and legitimate links as they do everywhere online. User beware is always good advice. In the Blogger help section, I read more about their reasoning. They say they have done this to stop fraudulent posting with someone using someone else's name and even URL. They say this is about a safer internet with a universal ID.

Especially in our day and age with the government already peeking into our business anywhere they choose, it's not surprising that people are leery of a universal anything (even though we know we are already easily trackable-- most especially if we have a fixed ISP). At any rate, I do understand not wanting to sign up for more systems.

In an attempt to see if it'd help, I upgraded my Blogger template to layout; something I wasn't eager to do as I was concerned it'd ruin everything I had done to make my template as I wanted it (which they told me it could override).

Doing it led to good news and bad news: On the bad side, for awhile I lost my site meter until I realized why it was gone. But in good news, I fixed that problem by myself which made me proud of 'me' since computerese is not the way I think.

The upgrade made my blog easier to change layout, and I now have special features available like slide shows [although I am still unsure if that'd be good as if someone is using an older computer, slow loading can end with having them give up before they read any words]. It's good though that now I can put up a new profile photo of me every time I can't stand the current one, since it no longer requires a URL and can come directly from my hard drive.

The upgrade made my blog roll easier to adjust. I knew some regular commenters use their name which is not the name of their blog. I updated the blog roll to add those names so readers can more easily find their blog. These links are tested by me to go to that site.

If you comment here but have not been on that roll, include your URL and I will eventually get the blog roll to reflect regular commenters' blogs. This is not a minor issue as I think we all find new blogs through reading someone's comment and wanting to know more about their thinking.

The issue of the internet and how to avoid other users coming onto a blog as supposedly us and posting a comment that we'd never post is potentially not an insignificant one. For my own blog, when I get something that I know didn't come from a legitimate commenter, I delete it; but my numbers to do this make it a minor problem. It's one that can grow.

Some months ago, I had my identity taken fraudulently at eBay when I had visited looking to get more information on a product I wanted, and one of those site programs got my password all too easily, then spammed other users with supposed compliments from me about their product. Temporarily, until it could be explained, it limited my usage of my own account and was a frustrating experience as each of those comments was forwarded to my email account before eBay got them stopped -- and me.

So it is a problem where the internet has been a kind if Wild West for the freedoms but also difficulties that go along with those who misuse freedom. We are operating in a new media and are part of both its solutions and problems.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Google's decision. What is the internet if there's no linking? They're using too extreme of an approach to combat one problem. Couldn't their programmers figure out some ways to better filter out spams?

Rain Trueax said...

It's not really the spam that is the problem, Paul. It's the false use of a name. Spam can be dealt with by confirmation codes already, which I use off and on when I start getting more spam to delete than I want to take the time.

At any rate, it's what they say and not what might be their real reason. Who knows what that is.

I consider the loss of links for those who comment here to be a real problem and am not happy about it at all. Comments are as important as the original blog and sometimes even better on some topics.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Some of this is just beyond my undertstanding...I do not like Blogger constantly changing things and not explaining anything...BUT, I also do not want anyone "stealing" my identity....It is ALL too much!!!
(lol)

In regard to your comment on my "cleaning"....what is frightening is that I did a MAJOR MAJOR Clean-out, in 1984. I filled 8 small dumpsters and then one HUGE one....about ten years later I got another HUGE Dumpster and filled that one....What shockes me is what I have accumulated in all that time and really must get rid of....At 76, I PRAY I don't accumale at the same rate I had been....Because of my Health Issues, I am less and less involved in outside prohects that required a lot of Paperwork....So, maybe I won't accumulate at the same rate....All I can say is: IR IS ENDLESS!

And, I have two storage units, too...One is Professional/Business, and the other is "Persnal"....I cannot deal with either of them....OY VEY...LOL!

Rain Trueax said...

I put it back on allowing anonymous as that thing they said worked, didn't work for other blogs. It's a shame that google has done this and hopefully they will eventually see it as a mistake. Just irritating

Anonymous said...

really a cool blog... great inputs fantastic.. i m fan of ur blog... even i have a blog please visit and give me feedback http://aadat247.blogspot.com/

robin andrea said...

I don't know anything about OpenID, but I think I'll check around. I have both a Haloscan account and blogger account, so I typically don't have any problem leaving comments. What kind of information does blogger want from potential commenters? I don't think I've ever given blogger my real name or any pertinent information.

Rain Trueax said...

good points, Robin and I didn't have to give them my real name or address either. I gave them the email I was already using with my blog which is where I get all my comments forwarded-- a hotmail account, not my usual business account.

I got an email saying that the suggestion of going to this Universal ID didn't work and then didn't enable any posting of comments at all; so went back to allowing anonymous.

And paraghi5, I did check out your blog and it's interesting, good photos, and aimed at a younger readership than me who is probably your grandma's age. I always like reading something from other countries and will be back off and on to see what's up in your posts. Hope you continue to visit here and comment when something is of interest to you.

Rain Trueax said...

Robin, it does make me think though that it's about getting their numbers higher for investors as with using a hotmail account, we could be anybody and fraud wouldn't be any easier to prevent-- other than maybe they can tell if we sign up for two google accounts... maybe. I don't know what they are up to but the bottom-line is they want to make money. I have never had a haloscan for comments. How hard is that to set up and does it get around this new requirement for non-registered google users?

Ingineer66 said...

I signed up for a blogger account back when I first started commenting here and then Google made me change to their system. I have never had any problems commenting or getting overly spammed. Maybe I am missing something.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm trying again with my new Google account. All of a sudden my old one wouldn't link although it published my name. Here goes.

Anonymous said...

I think I may have finally figured out my Google problem of live linking. Trying once again.