Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, October 29, 2007

Good energy in the Oregon Outback


Last Sunday, on a beautiful, fall day, I was in Southern Oregon, the other side of the Cascades and a region some call Oregon's Outback. It is lightly developed, known for its remoteness, beauty, cattle and independently minded people.

In a small community, we stopped for lunch at a cafe. It was not fancy but had nice people and good food-- it also was probably the only place to get a meal for at least 20 miles any direction. The tables were chrome, the walls decorated with western symbols like brands, the other diners appeared to be locals who all knew each other. My family and I took a table at the front by the window, checked out the menus, and then I looked around.

The paintings on the wall were western. That always catches my eye. The biggest was of cowboys taking longhorn cattle across the Sycan River in what looked like a storm. By biggest, I mean it was probably 4 feet by 6 feet and it filled the room with its subject, color and energy. It definitely held my attention.

Frequently art in small town cafes is not of much quality. It's often grandma art (nothing wrong with grandmas as I am one myself but I just mean it's hobby more than serious). It is there to look nice and make the locals happy. Not in this cafe. That painting was a real gem in the middle of nowhere.

Then I noticed the smaller paintings farther down the wall, the ones that required my getting up to see more closely. They all had the same vibrant energy, the accurate feel of the working west. Wow, who was this woman. Because I collect modern western art, I know a lot of the artists' names. Not this one.

Reading the flyer tacked on the wall, I learned Judy Erickson lived locally. She was a horsewoman, who knew her subject because she herself cowboys-- it showed.

With now an eye to buying one, I looked even more closely. I chose The Wild Ones, a 14.5" x 21", framed giclee (giclees are prints on canvas which can be hard sometimes to be sure they even are prints-- other than by price) of two cowboys rounding up wild horses.When I later emailed her for more information, Erickson was very friendly and responsive. She is self-taught or more accurately she said she feels her painting is a gift from god who wants her to paint this way of life, to show it to others. I am drawn to works of passion and hers definitely fits in that group as the passion she feels, for horses and that lifestyle, shows through her every brush stroke.

She also wrote it was purposeful that you would wonder whether the wild ones were the cowboys or the horses. The men look tough, the wild horses hard to handle and the painting suggests a storm is brewing. The artist said that in that part of the country, those storms can come up fast and from three directions. The men in the painting looked capable of handling it-- whatever it was.

For me art is always about the energy. I buy things that touch me-- when I can afford them. Always the paintings I love most project feelings and emotions that go beyond the simple elements of the subject. I only wish I could paint well enough to do that myself. (If anyone is interested in contacting Judy Erickson for more about her work, email me and I will give you contact information.)

After lunch, the country grew even prettier as we drove down a river-- nice sized river, tall pines, rough rock outcroppings, few people, and beautiful autumn colors.

Alongside the river, right next to the road, was a small cave which our daughter, who is an archaeologist, told us had been investigated some years ago by archaeologists. They found it to have been occupied perhaps as much as 10,000 years ago by the people living here before Mount Mazama erupted-- a huge mountain whose eruption and collapse left behind what we know today as Crater Lake as well as covered a lot of the region with volcanic ash and lava.

Standing in the cave, seeing the patina of the smoke from many campfires it felt like it would have been a good place to find shelter from the storms. The people back then had to move through the seasons to find enough food to stay healthy. With hunting nearby, fish in the river, a crevice to the back to store your belongings away from the elements, it seemed to me this would have been a favored stopping point, maybe even wintering over. The view was great-- not that it probably factored into their stops. Then again, probably they were as oriented to finding good energy as I am.

I could tell you the name of the river, the small community, but you know it could be anywhere in Oregon's Outback as beauty and discoveries are around every bend in the road. All photos are from along that river.

7 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful to find a painting that really speaks to you in a totally unexpected place! Lovely story, and lovely pictures to go with iy, Rain.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful trip you must have had! I love how your descriptions can almost take me there.

Unknown said...

Now that sounded like a wonderful outing, Rain, and you opened up a line of communication with an artist whose work you've admired--and I assume you are going to buy. The photos are beautiful, too. Reminded me of Sedona somehow.

Mary Lou said...

I Love Folk art, the GOOD kind. I had an Uncle who could paint, and he painted EVERYTHING. All the walls in his basement were painted, He was my grandmothers Brother, and back then they could not afford canvas, so he painted the walls. He gave everyone in the family a painting. I just wish he had given me some of his talent! I would LOVE to paint, but I can't!

I loved your post today. Thanks for taking me along on your trip!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I know you have been collecting works about women in ranching, what a great find.

Ingineer66 said...

What an enjoyable journey. I could tell by your writing that the painting really hit a chord with you.

I like the photo of the rock hanging over the road. We used to have one nearby that looked almost identical except that it hung out to almost the centerline of the highway and trucks and RVs were hitting it so it was blasted back away from the road. It makes it safer, but doesn't look near as good. I guess in the modern world most people don't like driving on the highway to be an adventure. They just want to get where they are going.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed you sharing your day with us. Your part of the country sounds and looks gorgeous! More "rugged" than our island here, but determined to preserve all the beauty and wildlife.
The painting is really nice and I can see why you were drawn to it.