Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Something old and something new

Monday afternoon, around 3 pm, I was typing at my computer when something snagged my attention. I turned around to look out the window and saw the sheep flock, which was out in the pasture, bunched together looking nervously back toward the field. That is never a good thing to see. Sheep when they are being attacked don't make much noise, but they form a protective circle.

I had no idea what the problem was, hoped it was nothing, but ran out the bedroom door, not taking time to go to the utility room to find a rifle because when there is an attack on sheep, seconds count.

Isolated from the main flock, up against the fence was a lamb (the dark one you see in the photo above) down with a coyote two or three feet away and coming fast. I ran forward yelling at the coyote to get out of here. The coyote did an abrupt stop, turned its attention from the sheep to me, shifted gears, and split. I regretted no gun because, as close as it was, it would have been an easy shot. On the other hand, that moment to get the gun could well have been the end of that lamb. Coyotes aren't in this for the game. They kill quickly.

The lamb's head was up, but I was still concerned she had been torn. As I approached, I saw nothing wrong as she got up and ran to the flock and her mother. Mama was making nervous mothering sounds. That mother and her twins are always together, but in this case, she was helpless to protect her baby. I have seen the bodies of ewes after they have attempted to fight a coyote and ended up dead alongside their lambs. I understand the impulse because if this coyote had kept coming, I would have gone over the fence to protect my lamb.

With the coyote gone, I ran back into the house for my rifle with the intention to bring the sheep into the more protected house pasture. I figured the coyote would be long gone but decided not to take time to change my sandals just in case it was hanging around.

I opened the main gate and frowned at the cows-- guard cows indeed. Because they had yummy new hay, they were around their feeder, munching, chewing cud, napping, and giving no sign that a predator had just dashed past.

The sheep and I had come to the same conclusion about them coming into the house pasture, and they were running toward me. I scanned the flock, looking to see if any were dripping blood, had injuries I hadn't seen. I also was watching in case the coyote was still lurking. My gaze was forward, not downward, but down was where the big, fresh cow plop waited. I stepped squarely into the center of it.

The best description for the feeling is ewwwwww . This is the kind of thing that is not supposed to happen to rescuers of sheep. It is the sort of thing that probably happens most often when those rescuers wear sandals into a pasture.

So the something old (well me too) was the experience of chasing off a coyote. I've done it before, and it always feels good. I go from feeling I am not doing much that matters to knowing I just saved a life.

The something new was the experience of stepping solidly-- scratch that word-- deeply, with what was almost a bare foot, into a large, cow plop (which did happen to also be new). If you haven't done it, and I am assuming most haven't as I never had, it's kind of like stepping in wet, gooey mud-- if you ignore the odor part.

Anyway all is well that ends well, my jeans are freshly laundered, and my cleaned sandal will dry eventually... hopefully with no lingering fragrances. I always wonder when something like this happens-- do the sheep know I will protect them? That they can count on me? Did they feel relief when they see me come out-- okay, she's here and we'll be okay? It's what I want them to think, but beings they are sheep, I will never know for sure.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww is right!! I haven't had that experience since I was 7 years old...and don't ever want it again. LOL

Small price to pay for the little life saved, though, and it all came out in the wash. Good for you, girl!

Ingineer66 said...

Glad to hear that the lamb is ok. I would have to say I was probably about the same age as jackie the last time I stepped in a fresh cow pie. Ewwwww. Funny coincidence I was just talking with a friend this morning about the damage coyotes are doing to his drip irrigation lines in his orchard. They dig up and pull on the lines so that it takes 5 to 8 hours to repair it each time it happens. He is looking for someone to come shoot them to thin them out. They have decimated the pheasant population around here.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I think sheep learn to trust by repeated experiences like being fed from the hand, soft talking and gentle handeling. Being saved from having their head stuck in the fence or from the jaws of a coyote just doesn't occur enough for the sheep to learn to trust their rescuers.

Anonymous said...

Because Jesus used sheep and lambs to tell his stories, I read your story on several levels, Rain. You are the shepherd to your sheep--you were their 23rd Psalm. Corny, I know, but that's how it felt. As for the cow pie misstep, yes, I agree--ewww. Last summer I stepped right in one of Cookie's freshly dropped poops on the patio. Yuck! Keeps us humble, I guess.

robin andrea said...

That's quite a story. I think the sheep do know that you will protect them. They were right. Your instincts and knowledge saved that lamb's life.

I've never stepped in a fresh pile. Your description is as close as I hope to ever get.

Sandy said...

So glad to hear that the lamb is alright. I have had the misfortune to step into fresh and not so fresh piles a few times when we had the farm, not enjoyable. Ingineer, why would the coyotes be damaging the irrigation lines? All I can think of is trying to get a drink? We never had a problem with them in regards to irrigation.

Ingineer66 said...

Sandy. I don't know unless it is for the water. I know I have a friend thats dog chewed up the drip lines to her roses in the back yard. They could be looking for water or think that there is food in the hole like a gopher or squirrel.
We never had these problems with the old metal pipes and rainbirds but now trying to conserve water and use drips the animals are tearing them up.

joared said...

Coyotes from the foothills have reportedly taken up residence in our town due to infringement of humans on their space, dry weather we're having. Of course, they want food, too. Our local paper has been running announcements from people who have sighted a coyote, then adds cautions to keep pets indoors. Guess you can't exactly invite the whole sheep flock in your house, but sounds like they'd come in a minute.

A few months ago I spotted a coyote trotting through my front yard about eight o'clock at night. We no longer have stray cats in the daytime, or "romancing" cat pairs outside my bedroom window in the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, yeah, I know that "sinking" feeling when you take a wrong step in the barnyard or a cow pasture.

Anonymous said...

Rain, the heroine! Coyotes are new to us here in Tennessee. They just started showing up a few years ago, and are still rare sights. Will large dogs keep them away, or do they kill dogs too?

I stepped in fresh plop years ago, but with white sneakers, not sandals. What a mess! My ex-father in law and his sons who were working with him in their dairy business got a huge laugh at my expense. As I recall, the stains and smells never came out of those canvas shoes and they ended up in the trash.

Rain Trueax said...

Coyotes definitely will kill small pets, try to lure dogs out to them, and with a pack can kill a larger dog too. I am, as a human, more leery of them in Tucson than here as they are less used to being shot at. I have never heard of them chewing into a waterline but rabbits and javelina sure will. In a drought the world changes, I guess.

Ingineer66 said...

I think the friends dog was just being a playful puppy, since there was a swimming pool and a water dish to drink out of next to the line. As for the coyotes who knows. The orchard is near a river so water is not in short supply there either.

Rain Trueax said...

as a continuation of the story, I had kept the sheep in until this morning when I opened their gate at about 10am and went out with my .22. I saw the coyote, along one fence, quite a distance back, but did get a shot which missed. I couldn't shoot again as it had a neighbors' home behind where it was running. It headed right for the cow herd and went behind them which meant again I couldn't safely shoot. So much for the cows considering it a threat :( At least I saw where it left the fields which my husband can mark and maybe it will discourage its return. Maybe...

Anonymous said...

How will your husband mark it? Maybe a sign that says NO COYOTES ALLOWED?

Rain Trueax said...

lol winston. That's very funny. He'll do it the same way the coyote or a dog would :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't farm life wonderful??