Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, June 24, 2007

Solstice Celebration Mountain Style


Walking along the mountain trail
I turned a corner and there they were.
I wasn’t invited, but who could resist?
Were they celebrating the sun’s return--
Or their own?

Transfixed by their beauty, I sat on the grass.
They paid me no mind--
ecstasy heeds only itself.

There are times like these,
they don’t come often,
when creatures must seize the moment,
and I did.


I imagined myself one of them,
with brightly colored wings, flitting here and there
landing to tease and play, sucking from the nectar of life.
Grounded though I might be, I also celebrated
their being.

The Viceroys teased the Admirals
While the bright orange fritillary chased the duller.
Oh and yes, the dragonflies were there
almost always out of focus and out of reach
for today.

Photos (along with many more) were taken along the Kootenai Creek Trail in Montana-- June 20, 2007.

7 comments:

Dick said...

A very nice photo set! Close ups are a challenge, especially of living things that don't always stay where we want them to be.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How AMAZING to see all these gorgeous beautiful creatures! I've never seen anything like that....What a thrilling exhilerating thing that had to be! And how fabulous that you had your camera with you! Thanks for sharing this true Miracle of Nature!
And thanks for your understanding words on my driving post! I feel for your Mom....my friend Betty G. has Macular, too....and has stopped driving about two years ago now....It is quite an ajustment, and I'n so deepky grateful I still have my license---now, for another five years!

kerrdelune said...

I love them all, especially the fritillary and those marvellous swallowtails.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I know how difficult it is to photograph flying insects. These photos and words are refreshing me.

Patty said...

I love those photos. I rarely see a butterfly here, but dearly love them.

Anonymous said...

I love butterflies.

robin andrea said...

What a beautiful time that must have been, to sit among them, and imagine your own wings. Truly beautiful photographs, rain.