Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, July 31, 2009

Pelicans on Klamath Lake

I am not sure what the appeal of pelicans is. True, they are elegant, graceful birds, seeming to see themselves as superior to others. Whatever the reason I find myself watching them anywhere I see them in the air or on the water.

These three came to a certain part of the lake several times and we assumed because a school of small fish were there.

Fishermen in boats passed them, generally respecting each other's territory.


Once in awhile a bit too close but the pelicans were soon back to their zone. They weren't to be distracted from their task which was the same as fishermen on the docks or in boats-- getting fish.For anyone who is a fan of birds, likes more scenery, or more dragonfly pictures (a lot more), I had put most of them onto a Picasa site: Creatures and Scenery of Klamath Lake.

6 comments:

robin andrea said...

I'm a big fan of pelicans too. There really is something about them that makes you want to watch them. I can't remember if the Oregon coast has Brown Pelicans, but they are amazing to watch diving for fish. Graceful and awkward at the same time.

Darlene said...

One of my childhood memories was of a verse I learned after seeing pelicans for the first time. It is:

A wonderful bird it the Pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
But I don't see how in the hell it can.

I think it stuck with me because I was allowed to say the forbidden word "hell" if I used it in the rhyme.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE Pelicans, too, Rain...So, I'm going over to see your other pictures, Right Now!

These are wonderful, by the way.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WONDERFUL Group of Pictures, Rain....I love all the pictures of the Creatures, in particular, but the scenery is fantastic. What a BEAUTIFUL place that is...!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I checked out your gallery and your photos are wonderful. Thanks for letting us share this trip with you.

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.