Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, June 08, 2008

William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge

Recently, I have very much enjoyed some hikes with Farm Boss, Parapluie, and her husband, Fisherman (so nicknamed here by me for his love of fishing). Farm boss and Fisherman have been buddies from before they met and married either of us. Although we all enjoy each other's company, have shared lifetime experiences, recently we had not done a lot of hiking together; but that changed in May, and I hope will stay changed.

This first hike is a wetland nature preserve south of Corvallis. I had heard of it but simply hadn't stopped to walk there. I was very impressed once we did. We got some good exercise, saw a variety of birds and wildflowers, Parapluie sketched, I got photographs, and we all had some good conversations. You can't ask for more than that from a hike.

As with so many places like this, the Finley Wildlife Refuge was set aside due to the efforts of individuals. Sometimes land is donated. Sometimes it's groups who get together to protect a certain place. Whatever the case, it's worthy of commendation as due to these kinds of people, future generations will see bits of nature as it once was everywhere. In this case, an important wetland was preserved for migratory geese.

There are those who say-- who cares about the least of us! Others instead would say-- the care we give to the least of us represents the best of us!

(Click on images to view more fully. In one (not saying which), the heron had just caught lunch.)

4 comments:

robin andrea said...

That looks like such a great place for a walk with old friends. I'm so glad that people took the time to work to preserve a place like this. Those efforts save the best of what we have left of our wild planet.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

It was a great day to remember. And the photos do more than bring the day backin memory. I am amazed at how well the heron and swan show up in your pictures. They were so far away that when I was out there with you I could barely tell that the little specks were birds out in the wet lands. Very good camera work.

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely Rain !!

Daydreamerz43 said...

I grew up being a volunteer for this place. When I was around 5 or 6 years old, my parents and I would go check the wood duck houses and count their eggs (at least I think that's what we did lol). Also, the road that's next to the house and office, it goes out to a marsh, and there's a little bridge (if you could call it that) that's off to the left. I remember helping build that, and it needed to be built because otherwise, you'd be walking in mud and water, because of the flood (so this might've been in 1996?).