Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, January 26, 2024

But Should We


 

 “Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should”

This was one of those weeks, wonderful in so many ways but not beneficial for coming up with something for the blog. Our son drove down from Oregon for a short visit here in the desert with us. It was very good with him, but the weather didn't contribute as it rained most of the time he was here. Not exactly desert weather supposedly, but the desert loved the rain as it didn't flood that much and the plants flourished with it. He had come hoping to hike and fortunately he did get one good hike in, but not what he had hoped. 

As our life returned to normal, I began to think about the blog and what might I write here. I don't use photos or stories about the family to protect their privacy; so that was out. Then, I came across that quote from Jurassic Park and thought it fit so many situations today.

First, of course, is science and how the word is used to make agendas happen. I have a problem when science is used in a way that to me is really projections based on science from the past but assuming it can continue as it was in a known pattern, but does that work given how the earth changes. 

To call it science, it should be based on known facts and repeatable. But then as this quote says, you need to think if they should do it. We can see a lot of examples of when it should not be done, but we only have choices for what comes next. That is what counts-- in my opinion.

I was distracted because my real reason for that quote was for our lives. We could do this or that but should we? In the culture where I live, the options are huge for what we could do based on our skills. A bigger question comes with should we? It's what makes that quote from Jurassic Park so powerful to me.

When I write my books, I think about good stories and characters but also what should I depict as being beneficial. This is not only for readers, but for myself. I spend a lot of hours with these characters and their actions. I want that time to improve my life and not just be about making money or even popularity. 




 Finally, this moon was the wolf moon, first full moon of 2024. Moons mean so much to us as they change with their cycles through a year. They can determine planting cycles as well as help us recognize the seasonal changes.


1 comment:

Tabor said...

That wolf moon seemed so large to me!! It was beautiful. A visit from those we love, even when winter interferes, is the best. At my age I realize that there are not too many more.