Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 08, 2023

Series writing

 When I first wrote Sam and Abigail's Arizona story, i had no thought of it expanding to a series of so far eight books. I enjoy reading series books-- if the writers don't keep on them too long. By too long, I mean, with no new stories and purely a desire to keep the series going. It can end up boring.

With my first book in what did become a series, I liked the characters a lot and was attracted to a secondary character of the federal marshal, Cord O' Brian. But, if he was to be a hero, who was the heroine? It seemed obvious when I thought about it-- Abigail's friend, Priscilla. A marshal and a rich woman? Unlikely combination. Perfect for romances. They had a lot to overcome and the second book virtually wrote itself as a villain was already in it from that first book. 

 


The second book in the Winds of Change series will be out ( 12/19) before the end of the month. That's even better as Christmas plays a big part in the story. The link will be here when it is.

One thing about series is, for me, they often don't appear with the first book. That was true with my Oregon series where it began with the trip west and a young couple. The fun for writers and readers is when we like secondary characters, why not want to know their stories also. That is how interesting series are born-- whether in a locale, friends, or with families.

No comments: