Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, August 15, 2020

small things

 by Rain Trueax


Here I am again with nothing to say that I feel is positive. I am not happy, but why should I be given the world situation as well as what is closer to home? Like most of you, I am doing the best I can for where I am. I am trying to think ahead to a future that will be brighter instead of writing about what is going wrong-- in my opinion. Why depress others by writing about my own negative situations right now? If I wrote what I am thinking about politics, half of you would agree and half be offended. Besides which, does anyone think what we write in blogs or on FB convinces anyone? I doubt it.

I did find one interesting thing this week in terms of how we decide what is worth believing, how do we figure out what is truth. It was that we need to look at our own cognitive biases. What in our experiences has us wanting to believe or disbelieve something. The theory was that we all have cognitive bias and need to be aware of it in terms of how we read what is out there. That is followed by confirmation bias, which basically says we tend to go where we already are comfortable and what will reaffirm us. The point was watch out for it when we assess something that we recently learned.

 Other than that, I finally got the new blogger. It works for me, but I can't say I like it. It is not the disaster for me that it is for my blog partner, Diane. She can't format or add photos. For that and other reasons, she may need a break from blogging. We're trying to work that out. IF we try to take this blog back to legacy, will that continue to be supported? I am uncertain from what I can research.

So, how about some more desert photos of the cacti? Better than what I am actually thinking ;) Nature is also life and right now the only real consolation for the pain the world is experiencing. The lesson from nature is that life goes on...

 One thing about these late summer cactus-- watch for them. A day later, the blossoms will be gone. Something to think about where it comes to valuing small things.









6 comments:

Darrell Michaels said...

Amazingly beautiful photos! I love them!

"One thing about these late summer cactus-- watch for them. A day later, the blossoms will be gone. Something to think about where it comes to valuing small things."

Profound in so many ways!

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you, Darrell. They really are something to enjoy in these exceedingly hot days. Always it's try to find that in all we are experiencing.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The cactus flowers are so beautiful. I too am taking refruge in nature's beauty. Thankful that my son-in-law promises today to look at the format I see when I try to post.
My kids always were late risers. So I have a few minutes now to attempt to write a post.

Rain Trueax said...

I hope he can figure it out as your posts here would be missed.

Joared said...

Love those cactus flower photos! Wish circumstances didn't cause you to feel so gloomy. Truth is seeming rather obvious to me, partially because I jettison all that is said by known habitual liars and I give little or no credence to conspiracy theories. There's enough real stuff going on between the virus, our economy and general state of the union, but I have hope.

I thought I read that though we could return to Blogger legacy we would all be permanently moved to the new format on a date they gave later this month.

Rain Trueax said...

that's what I read, Joared, which is why I didn't go to Legacy. We have to deal with this and Diane and I are trying to work it out. She has someone there who can help her-- we hope as it's been good for the blog to have us share our creative lives. Diane has been over many years one of my dearest friends.

I am more disturbed by the violence in our cities than I am the virus. I am upset that the mayors and governors seem uninterested in what is happening to ordinary people with all this chaos. I am lucky to not live in the midst of it, but my family is there in Portland. I am concerned also with which direction our country is going but will write more about that for Saturday.

And what is happening to my friend with ALS has been incredibly upsetting to us. Years of connections with each other, trips together and so much shared. Now they are going through this incredibly cruel disease. Add to it my own family issues and I have to work to not let myself think. How to vote is the least of my concern as not sure much of how we vote changes things-- sadly.