Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, September 28, 2019

from a dream

by Rain Trueax

I wrote this post a few weeks ago and kept adjusting where it'd show up. It's an example of how, for me, books emerge from a dream and a simple thought into a full book. 

On other levels, my life has been evolving on many levels. One is that I'm trying to create back covers that work with the covers for Ranch Boss (whenever work here lets up) to put together the spline that lets the book become a paperback. Those matter mostly for giving away but also could be important if I do some book signings, which I've yet to do. Also, if I want my books to be in libraries, there must be paperbacks and a Library of Congress number. Working on it all. Meanwhile, this is an example (there are many) of how books begin with one thing and turn into another. Fun. :)


Sometimes a book begins with a dream. In the fall of 2013, I lost a cat I loved very much. I'd have paid a lot of money to save her life. She was too young to die, but something was catastrophically wrong inside. All I could do was let her go, which happened when the veterinarian came out to the house and gave her a merciful end. I cried so much. I still cry when I think about it, which is why I don't include her picture here.


That night I asked for a dream to know if reincarnation was true. I had thought this cat had come to me twice. Both other times, she'd lived out her whole lifetime. This time I wanted to know if reincarnation was true. If it was, I hoped I'd get her back again. The dream was not about cats but it was powerful.
A man and woman were on a train. They had been lovers in previous lifetimes. This time they were both destined to die early from accidents.

There were two spirit guides looking at what was happening. As the lovers kissed, a gold ring was clearly seen over the kiss. The guides saw it and
observed how rare that kind of love was. 'They will just ruin things again if we don't let them fix it this time,' they said. At the same time, there was another couple, where the woman was plotting to kill the man to get his money. What can fates do to fix these two unfairnesses? The dream had the answer with a transfer of souls.
Now, it's been a lot of years since the dream, but some elements are still strong in my memory especially that ring over their kiss. 

When I woke that morning, I realized I had to write this story. There were elements I could not use-- like the train. There were other elements that I added to it to fill out the book of these lovers who had met in high school but never did anything about their feelings until years later when tragedy cuts their time short. I added scenes that fit the characters like a time in the spirit at Bear Mountain. That's what writing is about-- an initial idea and then what!

I wrote the novella, When Fates Conspire, and put it out in January 2014 when I began to think this had potential for something more. 

No dream this time, but the woman who lost her son is having a hard time, in The Dark of the Moon, holding onto the family ranch with her main help gone. A man, who sees the
other side and is trained as a sorcerer, comes to the ranch after hearing of her plight. He offers to help, and it's not hard to see where this is going since it's a romance. 

The mystical side though went beyond the sorcerer as the son who had been killed, who had found joy with his soul mate, begins to feel a draw to a ranch where he's never been and that he can't explain. The soul connection is there when mother and lost son meet. Oh, there is the little matter of villains and a killer bear.

Were two enough? Not close, It takes three. Storm in the Canyon has a shape-shifting druid hero. Langston Agency is called by the restored son to figure out what is happening in a canyon with strange powers growing by the day. This is a canyon known for its tragic endings. The spirit world is also concerned and sends a spirit guide into human form to help. She can't stay forever but is romance in the air? Of course, but so is a logical explanation for why monsters of old might be gaining power in a
Montana ranch canyon.

Three novellas from one dream, but it wasn't the end. I wanted to combine them into one novel-- Diablo Canyon. I also wanted to add in the spice that novellas don't have room to have. 

Having three into one has a confusing aspect. If someone doesn't read the whole blurb and buys the novella and then the novel, they might feel they were cheated. The novellas do have one feature, or rather more of it than the novel-- Dante's quotes so fit each chapter. What a poet he was.

Remember tonight... for it is the beginning of always.    Dante Alighieri

Books available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Canyon-Trilogy-Rain-Trueax-ebook/dp/B00M9NXVDO


2 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain , I love your process and wish I had a flow of dreams like you. I have a cold and will remember my dreams tonight. Maybe if I look at art books tonight befor ebed , I will get an idea but not too hopeful.

Rain Trueax said...

I don't always remember mine. It's odd why sometimes I do and sometimes I know I dreamed but no clue. Good luck with yours :) oh, and that cold.