Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, July 10, 2019

by Diane: Painting foxes



Completed on Day Four
Fox were in the back yard close up for observation until July 5th. The fireworks must have made them fearful to come too close.  We still see the two young ones playing tag.
 Fox move fast. I watch them often. But when working largely from memory, my eyes are on my painting and I look little at the landscape. My husband Don alerts me when any wildlife is in our view. I remember their movement more than their features. I love their perky gait and their grace. Defining their form and movement requires working both their contour and the background as one.
 
Don said he did not understand their orientation. That is okay. The one in the lower foreground I am looking from below. In the middle ground I am looking down.
 
Mornings are so pleasant. Don is watching the ever changing landscape. We are so fortunate to have this view.
 
 The fox the other morning were crying out their warning call when a very big lighter animal appeared running towards us on the road. When it was closer we understood the high pitched bark of the fox. It was not another fox but a coyote.
 

Day 0ne
It took me several days to paint the fox. This 8"x10" oil on canvas board. At first they did not relate to each other. Don said they looked like deer.
Day Two

 
Another painting in which the barn and fields were painted first.  Then the foxes came through and I decided my painting was a stage.  They were begging to be painted.
 

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I do love foxes but a less energetic version would appeal to me...no criticism of your talent, just saying I agree with your husband.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Tabor,
I value the courage of your comment. Thank you.