Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, July 17, 2019

by Diane: Fox sightings while painting continues

 Over half the month has passed and  foxes are still more cautious ever since the Fourth of July fireworks. So I have been looking at them far in the distance through field glasses. 
The series of 10" x 8" oil paintings of foxes will be abstracted from what fox look like to me. As I paint them from memory, I remained open to new ideas coming from the painting as if the painting is carrying on a conversation with me.
Monday, revisions began with yesterday's decision
 to make the back fox blue.
Then as soon as the fox was painted blue,
the flood gate was opened to paint all over.
The creative flow breaking through after a spell of tight thinking
 is the reward I love so much about painting.
Quickly the chemical green background was covered
with tints of a green grayed down.
The painting suggested elongating the movement of the blue fox.
I finally reached enough understanding of the form
to abstractly break up the front fox's form into planes and lines.
Finally my reluctance to use photos
paid dividends as the spirit I love in children's art appeared.


 


Sunday, I enjoyed painting the colors in the front left ear.  But after
painting the ear for several hours, I looked at the whole picture.
Color balance between warm and cool -
not pleasant. The back fox says it is a blue fox.
My vision was just to make one change.




Saturday, July 13, I did not look up fox anatomy.
The front fox's ear too low unless head tilted?
Will tilt eye and mussel but that was not to be.
I felt critical of the back fox laying down as if cowering.
I've watched fox pups play tag
 without observing dominance
therefore the fox in back should be in motion
with eye on the front fox.
The front fox needs shoulders tensed
as though about to change direction
and bound away.

6 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Our foxes were different than yours. They weren't reddish and they didn't have that long a snout. I guess it matters what you are trying to accomplish. I like the eyes for their energy.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
I am making no attempt at trying to copy their color. I have not seen a blue fox. The only time they are redish is at the end of the day at sunset. And you are correct that your foxes do not have that long a snout.
Today we didn't see any fox. I heard but didn't see turkeys. We enjoyed a young bluebird gaining confidence to bath in our bird bath. A cooper hawk made an appearance.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
The reason we didn't see a fox today was because whatever it was running from yesterday killed it. Found in the draw just a tail, backbone and part of a head. I may not be seeing any fox for awhile.

Rain Trueax said...

That's so sad on the fox :( Ours didn't come back after 2013. I'll never know what happened and hope they just moved on. I used to sit outside and watch her as she watched me. I felt we communed but actually we never could and her trusting humans too much would be a mistake.

Rain Trueax said...

On the color of the foxes, it'd only be an issue when it's red/orange as there are foxes that color but not around here.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The color of fox around here vary greatly. And their color varies greatly depending on the daylightand shadow. But of course they are not cadmium red light!