Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, March 30, 2019

Home Visits

by Rain Trueax


For the last year or two (or more), we've been getting calls from our Advantage insurance plan asking us to find a time for a home visit by a nurse. We didn't like the idea. It had no cost but seemed invasive. We finally decided we had to do it  if for no other reason than to not get the calls. We preferred, however to do it in Arizona. When in Oregon, with all the uncertainty involving raising livestock, to set up a date ahead of time can be dicey. These visits are supposed to take an hour per person.


So we set up a time that worked and the Monday before the equinox, she drove up. As soon as she sat down, the first thing we did was ask what it would involve. She said an exam along with questions. We could refuse any part of any of it without a penalty to our insurance. That had been one concern-- could results end up with higher premiums or even ditching us. She said this group is actually separate from the insurance and intended to catch things before they become a problem. She was functioning as a nurse practitioner but was an RN before she decided she preferred home visits to time in an ER.

Since Ranch Boss had just had a physical, we weren't sure of the benefit or use of time, but we said fine, go for it. I had saved a week's worth of bp readings as I knew stress would raise it (I do this for the doctor too). We also had done blood glucose the week before, but she didn't want those readings as they weren't something she would do and might make those who read the results later wonder if we had diabetes (we don't and we keep track to make sure it stays that way).

Anyway the exams involved listening through a stethoscope, a urine test, testing for reflexes and feeling in the feet, looking at our eyes and ears, and then a lot of questions-- again with no answer being acceptable.

It took two hours to do both of us and was actually okay. She was pleasant. I did mention one concern I'd had about home visits was the possibility the nurse would be spreading germs from family to family. Turns out she was the one on antibiotics (she has a 6-year old) but enough days that it was probably okay. We didn't get anything; so it was okay that way at least.

It won't mean I don't need a physical when I am back in Oregon. It's been a year and a half since I saw a doctor for anything and the last was the physical or I think they call it wellness now days.

She did not look for house hazards, which i had thought she might. She told us the results as she did it all, and we got a copy of the questions asked. One set was intended to help people who might not be able to afford their meds; so that would be good.

I don't know if this will be something insurance companies continue doing. I sure don't want to do it every year... Here's the link to the program which was behind ours. It is possibly different with different companies. [House Calls]. We did not end up feeling it was invasive and they gave us each a water bottle for doing it. :)


5 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The main reason I like doing the in home health checks is because I miss doctors not making house calls. As we get older there are safty hazards of having too much stuff blocking pathways in the garage and shop. Too much stuff is a contributing factor to Don falling over his boat trailer tongue and badly breaking his wrist. I want some authority to impress upon us the urgency of becoming more tidy and getting rid of stuff. But to no avail, the inhome nurses and doctors shy away from what could be hot buttons suggestions that would cause more friction between couples. This year we did not want to be evaluated a few days before going to Hawaii. They said they would call back after February but I doubt they will.

Rain Trueax said...

I literally never had a doctor do a house call. We did have an old-fashioned doctor, who built his own office, had the basics there but had to send you elsewhere for anything beyond an x-ray. No house calls though. I have no desire to have them in my home and don't need authority to tell us to watch out for loose rugs, etc. When I took the fall that broke my nose, that was it for not taping down rugs lol.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Authority didn't change my husband. I moved the rug to reduce chances of triping. Though in some cases with the elderly these home visits would be crucial for picking up safty hazards or behavioral abnormalities that a doctor can not see in an office visit. I liked the doctor visits in my childhood because if he didn't do these visits, I would have been hospitalized.

Brig said...

I've never had a wellness check at home, my doctor in Calif is on the same wave length as me. He never sees me, except when I do something stupid. I really should get one up here...
Can't tell you how many times our ol family doctor made house calls to the home ranch to treat my type 1 diabetic husband. Didn't matter what time of the day or night, and he sometimes brought his RN wife along for the ride. God rest his soul, he was my kinda doc.

Rain Trueax said...

We tape loose rugs down and it's not pretty but it's effective.

Some doctors have gone to concierge programs where you pay so much a month to be in their care. I wonder if any of those do house visits. Our veterinarian son-in-law does them for pets.