Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 17, 2019

by Diane Widler Wenzel: Stretchy, Floppy failing support for collage

I embrace the freedom of working on the worst made canvas ever.  No fear of spoiling it.

Handmade papers I made and collected are glued down and covered with gloss medium. Lots of gloss medium!

When the paper dries, the papers might be lighter and more puckers will evolve, so I am eager to see what will evolve.

Update January 18 : my reaction to my beginning without a goal.

Last night; an inspiration and meaningful direction came in viewing Donna Watson's book, WABI SABI AND COLLAGE. I found a parallel in a my direction in philosophy plus one particular detail.  Rounded rocks and bundles of old cloth wrapped and tied by a cord. I was reminded of my father's values of keeping envelopes and files and when old mending them. All his important records he wrapped with a cotton cord and tied with a beautiful knot. The envelope in the collage held his naturalization certificate, the Declaration of Intention, Passport with the stamp proving legal entry, Social Security Card, and Draft Card. I love my father so much.


2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Good making lemonade out of lemons :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain, yes, lemonaid is refreshing. And I hope it is refreshing to you though this piece isn't intended to be completely pleasing to taste. I am trying to make a statement to others against the throw away mentality which I am also guilty at times. So much processing has occured during my life before I could made this collage. I need not be surprised that out of all the huge amount of stuff my parents left behind, the two things left that speak of my father's values survived my constant purging of my inheritance. My mother collected the tabs from popcans and my father allowed her to collect what was junk that could be made into something beautiful. I threw them away. To me my collage defends my constant need to not toss out old art work. I try to reinvent it.