Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, August 04, 2018

not as I expected

This has been a week where nothing went as I expected. I had written a blog for today and then because of other circumstances, it's not a good fit. I'll be next Saturday. 

With grandson here this week, my mind isn't operating on full cylinders, and today seems like a good day for photos. These are from our farm and this summer. It seems hard to believe it's more than halfway gone. Since out here, we all need rain, that's not a bad thing.














It's been a good summer here with some surprises (like having the turkey flock expand and enjoy a lot of time in our pastures). With some breakdowns of equipment, overall, everything has gone about as good as it can on a farm.

 Update: If you made it this far and you also like turkeys as Tabor mentioned she did in comments, here's a video from earlier this summer. I would like to get a new one this week as they have grown so much. I'd like one that captured all the sounds they make. They communicate with each other many different ways. For years, they haven't been this close but this year, I think after our son looked after the farm for us and did things differently, here they are. they like that tall grass.



7 comments:

Tabor said...

My favorites has to be the turkeys. We used to have them here, but the foxes and perhaps coyotes have taken them.

Rain Trueax said...

This is the first year we've had them around a lot of the time. I've enjoyed hearing their varied sounds. I had no idea how many they can make. I have a video too but will try to get it onto YouTube to be seen-- or find out if I already did. I am frazzled lol

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I am surprised by the number of turkey chics you have. The photos that are especially good include the reflections on the creek.

Rain Trueax said...

They've had a successful year for sure and not sure if this area can support that many. Out in the woods, their numbers will be severely reduced.

Celia said...

Great photos Rain. The one looking up the road with the goat standing in it reminds me so much of where I spent my (happy) grade school years it made me homesick. :-) We get flocks of wild turkeys wandering through our little town? Wonder what draws them in.

Rain Trueax said...

No goats. That is a sheep, Celia. We did have goats early on with this farm but for years, it's just been sheep and cattle. Those are sheep that come out many ways. Some call them Jacob sheep for that reason. They're more agile than many sheep as well as find more ways to get in trouble-- smaller too.

Joared said...

Enjoyed these photos and the video. I remember the first time I ever saw wild turkeys -- my husband spotted first. After we moved to Arizona, many weekends we were driving all over the state. On that occasion we were driving the Mogollon Rim.