Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chasing the Light

When we took a late vacation, late because we hadn't, for assorted reasons, been able to work in time away earlier, we headed for Montana for one of my favorite kinds of trips-- go wherever the mood strikes with no reservations or firm plans.

For me, I especially wanted a break from months of writing (although I took my computer and had wireless a lot of places), some time in the high country, and photography. I left oil paints and canvases at home based purely on it being impractical to deal with drying oils on this kind of vagabonding trip.

Fishing was on Farm Boss's agenda. I wanted time alongside rivers, trails into the mountains, time in the wilderness, and hoped for some sunshine. We ended up driving a lot and basically getting exceedingly lucky on the light which is something one cannot plan but simply has to be recognize when it's seen.

It was the week of the Hunter Moon, October's full moon. So I had full moon photos in Montana as one goal. Early one morning, not long after first light, we were driving south out of Dillon, where we had taken some good nighttime photos of the rising full moon, and there was that moon. I wanted photos of it with Montana's hills. I think those are the Tendoy Mountains that the moon is sinking toward.

What I had not fully assimilated is how important autumn is to wonderful photographs which are always created by good lighting. You can have the most beautiful scenery in the world and when the lighting is so-so, you are as well off to read a good book as the photos will end up snapshots and none will be the one you recognize as that "ah-ha" moment.

Who knew, well maybe all serious photographers but I didn't, that autumn provides the ingredients for some of the most spectacular possible photos. It is a combination of the low level of the sun at my latitude as well as the potential for clouds coming along to shift the lighting. Then I think when you are at a high elevation (2000-7000 feet is good) the air has a clarity that especially benefits nature photos.

Last year when I was in Yellowstone at this time, I got wonderful photos but hadn't really put it altogether yet-- high elevation, low level light, interesting shifting clouds, autumn colors and "voila" one beautiful shot after another. Some is luck and some is seeing what is coming and waiting for it. Only a tiny bit is working with Photoshop later. I put some of my favorites into a Picasa slideshow.


A shot like the one at the beginning of this blog requires waiting and watching for the moment when the light changes and turns what was ordinary into something almost magical. In that case, I wanted that moon to be near the horizon line to enlarge its importance. I also wanted the clouds to send across light bands onto the earth below. A lucky bonus was snow on the highest hills.  Zen or 'money shot' photos are always about light.

This full moon was the Hunter's Moon and I have photos from three different locations where it showed up exceptionally well. The first was Dillon, Montana, then the next morning heading south into Idaho (above photo). That one required parking the truck alongside the road, poking my head out the window and taking shot after shot to gain a few that I felt were exceptional. I later took a morning moon shot at Baker City,  as we were going into the Interpretive Center for the Oregon Trail. The moon with the sage brush was pure serendipity.

On this trip, we had had serendipitous moments when we happened to be in Missoula when the art museum was having a special show of Ansel Adams photos. Spending time with his photos, the wonderful way he used dark and light, often enhanced in darkrooms, all is good tutoring for taking good photos. I don't have the patience to spend hours or days for a photo but I do recognize the potential for one now when I see it and with the quality of digital cameras today, anybody can take some pretty impressive shots.

One more tip for someone seriously interested in taking the best photos, well besides learning to use shutter speed and f-stop, is having a polarizing lens. I cannot count the years that Farm Boss tried to tell me that while I resisted thinking it'd just get in my way or I'd forget to use it and ruin what could have been a nice shot without it. I am not one of those naturals where it comes to all of this nor am I first up to bat with new ideas. Eventually I did learn to use it and now cannot imagine taking nature photos without one. It gives light options and as you twist it around to get the photo you want, it adds the artistic dimension that a simple snapshot generally won't offer.

Seeing the full moon over Baker City was another of the trip's lucky moments, but I decided to play with the original image in photo-shop to bring it to more what it felt like than what I actually saw, more like a painting can do. Photo-shop can take what is a real image and give it a surreal cast by for instance turning a moon blue.

10 comments:

Paul said...

Nice Moon pic Rain...Being a vagabond has a definite appeal...:-)...I have a movie review on my blog that might peak your interest...

Taradharma said...

your photos on Picassa are marvelous -- I think the long shots of wide open vistas are most successful. The captured sky and landscape together just dance with each other. What a beautiful place on the planet.

I love to travel as you and Farm Boss do, with no particular plan but a general idea. See what comes along. Nice.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your Pictures are GORGEOUS, Rain....So many really exquisite photographs....! I loved the one of the road winding through the hils there---But truthfully, I loved them ALL!!!! Beautiful country we live in, isn't it?
It looks like you and Farm Boss did exactly what you hoped to do...!

Rubye Jack said...

That first shop actually looks like a painting--it is so beautiful!

Celia said...

Perfect trip through some of my favorite places. I think I should give in and get a polarizing lens too, your moon photo is great.

Dick said...

Good photos! I met Ansel Adams while I was a student at Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara in 1964-65. He used to visit the school occasionally. I also love his photos and some of the others of his "group." He had an amazing eye for a photo and the patience to wait until the right time to take that photo. And, he was no slouch in the darkroom. Boris Dobro, our Unit 2 instructor, really pushed us to learn what could be done in the darkroom to enhance our work. Now, with digital photos, most of those same things can be done on the computer with Photoshop or similar programs.

Anonymous said...

Dick--Your mention of Brooks Institute brought to mind another generation. My nephew was awarded a BA in Advertising/Illustration by Brooks Institute in 1995. He thought it a good place to train.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

P.S. It just occurred to me that if you go to www.chasingthelight.com you will see a site dedicated to photos by an engineer with whom I used to work. He took annual trips to Alaska to shoot (photos) wildlife. He does beautiful work. He also, when I was still working, made a lovely print of Fred First's Three Violets photo - gratis.

Anonymous said...

P.P.S. That P.S. was from me - and - I should have noted that Fred sent me an electronic file of his photo, to print as I pleased.
Cop Car

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Very interesting post on photography, light, seasons. Seeing Ansel Adams work is always a pleasure, that's for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed Montana so much. You and Farm Boss are truly in love with nature. I love your moon photo.