Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, July 22, 2011

Snappy Dialogue

One of the things the consulting writer drilled into me over and over was to show not tell. Dialogue is a wonderful way to do that. You want to show what a character is really like, the easiest way is how do they talk to other people. Tell your reader how wonderful they are but give them boring, long expository dialogue and watch it not be believed.

What people say in real life, how they communicate will be different from one person to another, and it's important to keep the dialogue true to each different one. That can be one of the trickiest parts because all the dialogue is really the writer's (unless you remembered something someone else told you). It's easy to end up having all the people sound alike for how they talk, for what is important to them, but it is not the best dialogue.

There are some great movies for getting ideas for snappy dialogue. Watch how the characters communicate and the sharp line that says it all. There are films I can watch over and over just for that snap. Pretty much anything with Humphrey Bogart in it is a good example. John Wayne didn't waste words either.

The other thing is listen to real conversations wherever you are. People don't talk in a line. They come and go with their thinking and ideas come in seemingly from nowhere. Don't finish up every possible dialogue's hanging line because sometimes that's what leads the reader to wait for the answer. Have people insert things that are red herrings because that's also life.

Some of my characters are better at giving good dialogue than others and when that happens, I try to go back at it and see if it is the character who is lacking in personality too.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

"...You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.”

"As you wish."

"You had me at hello."

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

Lines like those say it all about the character and the story. Even if you don't know what came before or what movie they were from, you know the feeling they generated. Naturally all dialogue is not that powerful but it's the goal.

There's nothing wrong with a lengthy piece of dialogue but if that's all that is in the story, I think it doesn't work. If dialogue isn't how people talk but simply to tell the story, that doesn't work. When I am reading someone else's story and a character talks for too long, I tend to zone out on it. In my own story, I try to avoid that failing (it's easy to slip up). Keep the dialogue to the point and make it fit who said it. If a character is driveling on, make it clear that it's their personality and not a plus.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

6 comments:

Dick said...

Pat and I have each ordered a Kindle. I've used the Sony Readers (and have two of them) for a few years but have come to the conclusion that overall the Kindle offers more and most books cost less through Amazon.com than through other sources.

My brother has told me that any books that I have for the Sonys that are in unprotected EPUB format can be converted to MOBI format for the Kindle so I'll look into that. Apparently in some countries you are not allowed to convert formats, but it is legal in the US if the work is not copy protected. Then I'll also buy some new things although I don't particularly want to pay more for an ebook than what I would pay for the same thing in paperback where Costco is hard to beat for price, although their selection is pretty limited.

mandt said...

How-a-bout: It was a stark and horny night at the frat house, when Bubba........:)

Darlene said...

You are so right about dialogue. Quite often brevity is far better than a lengthy paragraph of explanation. Wordiness can become boring.

Ingineer66 said...

How about:

We have a full tank of gas and a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we are wearing sunglasses.

Or one of my wife's favorite lines:

I'll have what she's having.

Kay Dennison said...

Excellent post!!!! Dialogue is prolly what I do best in my writing. I try very hard to make sure that each character develops his/her own voice. It can be a challenge at times but I usually manage to get past it easily.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

What a delightful post this is, Rain. Now, give us a few lines of some recent dialogues you've written for your characters.